Author Topic: Canadian USH any others?  (Read 592 times)

Offline NorthBoundCanadian

• Trade Count: (0)
Canadian USH any others?
« on: September 14, 2006, 03:03:17 PM »
Was wondering if there was any other Canadians out there that were shotting the USH?  In Stratford Ontario here.  The area the I hunt in is a shotgun only zone.

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
Re: Canadian USH any others?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 03:09:07 PM »
There's alot of us here just across the border that do!

Lower 1/3 of Michigan is shotgun only.

H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 01:59:55 PM »
Ya from what I have seen looking therw the forums there is a lot in MI that do.  There is a lot of guys over here that have gone to fully rifled barrels with scopes but not a lot else.  My other gun that I use when dogging (which is mostly what I do one of youngest in group) is a 870 with rifle sighted short barrel with rem choke that I have added a scope mount too.  Shots good but wanted something a little better for when I actully get to sit and wait.

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 02:15:32 AM »
Well that's exactly what you'd want to do with the USH.....sit and wait.
That's one gun you ain't gonna want to carry around, especially the 12 ga.

Heavy, but they are shooters.
IMO, the weight is an asset.....more stability, less recoil.

My son has the 20 ga.  Fine shooting gun with noticeably less recoil.
But for whatever reason, I prefer the feel of the 12 and achieve consistently tighter patterns with it.
Barnes Federal Expanders is what it likes, with best results coming from the 1-oz. 3" shells.

H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline jwm

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 06:09:21 PM »
Another Canuck here, from near Lindsay, Ont.

My area is also shotgun only, and a USH is one of my favourites.  Mine is the laminated stock version, scoped with a Leupold 1-4 shotgun scope.  I've also added a Limbsaver recoil pad.  Shoots great with Winchester Supreme Partition Gold sabot slugs, 1 1/2 inch groups @ 100 yards are easy.

I also have a Savage 210 bolt-action slug gun, as well as a rifled slug barrel for my T/C Encore.  Neither one shoots as well as the USH on a consistent, day-to-day basis.  There's also a Tracker II for sale at Williams in Port Perry that is calling my name...

Looking forward to November!

Good luck.

John

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 04:48:35 PM »
Mine is also the laminated stock.  Figured if I was going to spend the money why not go with the best.  Had to go a little cheaper on the scope tho.  Have a Readhead by bass pro 1.5-4  thiinking about stepping up to the 2-7 tho myself. Had it last year for season but never got a chance to shot anything with it.  I use winchester BRI sabot and get about 2" groups @ 100 yrs not to hard on the shoulder either.  Have a limited bugget and they seem to shot good so why not.