Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 494 times)

Offline hysteriapb

• Trade Count: (0)
Some questions
« on: September 26, 2006, 04:24:53 PM »
i just found this site today and am already addicted  ;D , very informative and helpful... i have a few questions as well...
1st) why must the receiver and such be sent back to be fitted for new barrels?
2nd) Does  this mean that any barrel you buy from another individual won't fit?
3rd) i understand the difference between the shotgun / rifle actions (sb1 and sb2), but other than that shouldnt all barrels for the same respective weapon fit any other?
4th) are the firing pins in different locations on centerfire vs rimfire? it seems like they should be but on the website they offer a combo kit that includes a centerfire barrel with 2 rimfire barrels...

any insite would be great or if you can tell me where is a good place to find my answers. Since they dont seem have to have an email address... that i can find...
thanks

Offline pills

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
Re: Some questions
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 05:47:15 PM »
1) If you want a new barrel from NEF they require it. Their rules and if you want a new barrel they make you play by them. They say it is to ensure proper fitting.
2) Nope. It may need some adjustment to lock up right but if you look at the FAQs in the centerfire section you will find more info
3) Nope. 2 different 243 barrels MAY not fit perfectly if swapped on each others frames. They may work no problem.
4) My understanding is the barrel is slightly offset to allow for the rimfire.

I will tell you what I have found. There are alot of opinions. I have not been too sucessful in finding experiences. Alot of the stuff I get is I know a guy who knew a guy who had this problems.
...You do not open your mouth without all the facts period...

Matt

Remember this, my dear brothers and sisters: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and should not get angry easily. James 1:19

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 06:25:56 PM »
Welcome to GBO!  ;) As pills said, they won't sell barrels without fitting them to your frame, each barrel is fitted individually, they aren't one size fits all. Having more than one frame helps insure that buying a used barrel will minimize fitting issues, but doesn't necessarily mean that a used barrel will fit. I have twenty SB2 frames, i bought a used 7mm-08 barrel from another member here, it would only fit one frame without any work, all the others would have required some modification to the pivot for a good fit.

The rimfire(SS1)/shotgun(SB1) frames are cast iron frames, even if the firing pin wasn't an issue on the Sportsters, they aren't strong enough for most centerfire calibers, centerfire frames are SB2, made of better material and heat treated to stand centerfire pressures well in excess of rimfire and shotgun pressures.

The combos haven't been available yet with the exception of the .22/.410 which has an offset bore on the .22Lr barrel, we guess that the 3 barrel combos will have offset bores on the rimfire barrels and the frame will be an SB2 frame.

Read the FAQ and Help, there's a lot of info in there that will answer your questions, including H&R's email address.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline hysteriapb

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 07:43:20 AM »
thanks for the help
and quick, thanks for letting me know ya moved it, i wondered why i wasnt familiar with many of the topics of discussion in that forum...

it just seems to me that NEF / H&R would make more money and save some time by just making their barrels drop in, like T/C does
but i guess if they did that they'd have make all sb2 frames for the higher pressure to keep someone from dropping a large cal. rifle barrel on his shotgun action and over pressurizing it to pieces.

thanks again for the answers 

Offline sts-g3

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 08:01:45 AM »
Dear MR.Bruns glad you found the site. The people around here are very helpful and willing to answer what ever questions you may have.

Rockin The Deadbox #15 PBH Frequency

Former FBH killer

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 11:01:33 AM »
it just seems to me that NEF / H&R would make more money and save some time by just making their barrels drop in, like T/C does
but i guess if they did that they'd have make all sb2 frames for the higher pressure to keep someone from dropping a large cal. rifle barrel on his shotgun action and over pressurizing it to pieces.

I don't know if they'd make any more money, they'd have to charge more since they'd have to retool to make them one size fits all, then the cost would be right up there with the competition in entry level bolt guns or more.

Right now there's no difference in the physical dimensions of the SB1 and SB2 frames, it's already physically possible to put a rifle barrel on a shotgun frame, and has been done with no so serious consequences, not to say I'd recommend trying it because the results may be unwelcome.

Tim

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,66901.msg406756.html#msg406756
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain