Author Topic: Porting question  (Read 390 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Porting question
« on: September 18, 2006, 09:32:25 AM »
If you were to cut the ports on the bottom of the barrel instead of on the top, would the gun recoil more than the unported barrel?  Reason for asking? I really don't know how things like magna-porting work to reduce recoil.
Safety first

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Porting question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 11:24:12 AM »
At least "in theory" yes. Real world? Well now that really depends. Depends on what you say? A lot of things I say.

Things like the pressure the round operates at, the velocity of the bullet and the actual pressure of the gases at the point of exit thru the ports, the weight of the ejecta, the weight of the gun and who knows how many other factors.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Tom C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 04:00:27 AM »
The deal with gas ports to reduce recoil is they function like thrust reversers on jets, or the muzzle brakes on artillery.
Recoil is made up of 2 major components:
Inertial reaction to the accelerating mass of bullet and powder/gas, and
jet blast effect of high pressure gas exiting the muzzle after the bullet has left the barrel.

Muzzle brakes do several things: they
reduce the gas exiting the muzzle to reduce the gas jet effect by diverting it through the brake,
deflect gas to act against the inertia effect of the bullet accelerating through the barrel to reduce the straight aft recoil,
and produce a upward directed gas jet which reduces the rotation of the gun, particularly handguns, during recoil.
The effectiveness of muzzle brakes depends on how well these are accomplished. That depends on the relative case capacity to bore diameter, barrel length, cartridge operating pressure, gas pressure at the muzzle.

I have an S&W PC 500 Hunter. It has a 6 ½” barrel with a pretty descent muzzle brake. When I fire it with powerful loads, I think I can feel the short duration recoil pulse from the bullet accelerating down the barrel and then the longer, opposite effect, produced by the muzzle brake, after the bullet has cleared the barrel. The overall effect is to mitigate the recoil from a hand canon to something tolerable.

In a single action .454, the action line of the barrel is fairly high compared to the support line of the hand. Using a brake to reduce the muzzle rise during recoil would certainly work, but it may work at the expense of increasing the linear rearward thrust onto the hand. That depends on the design and efficiency of the brake design.
Tom

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 02:26:27 PM »
Well, well, well.  One of my favorite subjects.  Let me say that I have had several Mag-na-ported revolvers and it works very well, thank you.  I have had guns before and after so it was apparent how well it was working.  I used to think that chamber pressure was a big factor also, but I had a surprise a few years ago.  I sent two .45 acps down to Ken Kelly at Mag-na-port and asked him to plate the frames on an Officers and Commander lt wt.  When I talked to him, he asked "Anything else?' and I replied 'whatever you think'.  He loves getting a 'cart blanc' because he gets to show off.  I received the Commander (stainless steel slide) back with the sides of the slide jewelled and both ported.  (You should have seen that slide!!!  My son owns that one now)  Anyway, I didn't think the porting would do much on a low pressure round like the .45.  I was surprised when both .45s shot about 5" low at 15 yds!  And I had just installed Trijicons on both before I sent them out.  Well, I had to put the Commander's rear sight on the Officer and order another, taller rear sight for the Commander to bring it back where it should be.  That made both of those gun super sweet shooting.  It made a wonderful difference!  I would like to do it to the Commander I have now but I occasionally shoot IDPA and that would dis-qualify the gun.  Go ahead and do it, you'll love it!  And don't listen to the bench sitters talk about increased muzzle blast.  All guns are too loud without hearing protection!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 12:15:28 AM »
I have a muzzel tamer on a T/C 7mm Rem. Mag.  After carefully inspecting it, as best I can tell, equal amounts of gas are expelled from the top and the bottom thereof.  This means that the significan recoil reduction is due entirely to redirecting the blast in a circumferential manner and not by differentially sending more gas up than down.  I would also conclude that the gas ejected from the barrel is much more important in recoil than is bullet weight.

I believe (and I don't intend to try it) that putting ports exclusively on the bottom of a barrel would decrease recoil (defined as force directled straight back at the hand) but would increase muzzel rise.