Author Topic: Pistol scopes  (Read 784 times)

Offline kidolds

• Trade Count: (0)
Pistol scopes
« on: October 08, 2006, 04:15:48 PM »
What a question. Leupold 4x or Burris scopes for magnum pistols. the price is comparible , I took off my weaver classic off and put it on my max. i want to go with 3 rings to hold it in place. the millit rings did not hold it after 100 rounds and loc tight it still moved.
I see no sense in putting sub par on somthing big and fighting it.  Open to sugestions

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Pistol scopes
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 10:31:03 PM »
ive had better luck with leupolds then ive had with buris scopes. The leupold 2x is probably the most indestructable handgun scope on the market.
blue lives matter

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 02:02:58 AM »
What cal is your handgun? I have a 460 Mag with a Bushnell 2X6 and only need 2 rings to hold it in place, and it hold's up to the recoil very well. The only handgun scope from Leupold that I like is the VX-III 2.5-8x32mm HandgunVX-III 2.5-8x32mm.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 02:40:55 AM »
I have 8 Burris 'scopes on handguns and a couple of rifles--no problems.  One is on a Ruger SRH with the Ruger 2-ring system.  It is a 44 Magnum and the 'scope moves after, not sure how many rounds, but it moves.  Probably several hundred rounds.  I have a 'scope on a Contender in 445 SM and the 2-ring system wouldn't hold.  I use the Redfield 3-ring system on my Contenders.  The seem to hold things in place.  NOTE:  Be certain to check the measurements of the 'scope from turrent to bell etc. as the 'scope needs to have proper spacing to fit into the rings.  Most 'scopes have a website that give the dimensions.  The rings that come together on the top and screw together there are about the uglies things I have ever seen!!  Plus they stick up so high I would think they would catch on everything--is that the Millet mounts?  Good-luck...BCB

Offline jro45

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 04:09:01 AM »
I have Leupole 2x on most of my hunting revolvers. Have one Burris on my 300 ultra 4x16x44 plex. Its a great scope. A little cheaper then Leupole and equally as good. Maybe a little better because Leupole doesn't have a 4x16 it has a 4.5x14 and I didn't want a 4.5 I wanted a 4 period.

Offline kidolds

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 01:32:40 PM »
Thanks for all the info. I will be mounting the scope on my 460. I took a weaver classic off when I sent the barrel back to T/C for it to be checked. I put it on my Max to replace my old Phatom 2.5  The Prices are about the same for both scopes. Thanks agian I will post what i go with and how it works.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 04:58:30 PM »
My Leupold went back to the factory twice for repair back in the days when I was try'n to make my 454 Casull into an anti-tank weapon but these days I'm a little more sensible and its  holding up fine. 
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Casull

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 07:34:19 PM »
I've put about three hundred rounds of what I consider heavy loads through my .454 SRH (300 grain cast over 31 grains H110) and it hasn't effected my 2x Leopuld.  Well other than after about 50 rounds my rings came loose (forgot the locktite).  Great scope IMHO.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Tom C.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 05:11:37 AM »
I put a Weaver 2x handgun scope on my .500 S&W. I used Warne rings, that are a little widers than some others, and green locktite. The green stuff is for sleeve fittings. It hasn't moved so far.
Tom

Offline Madmark

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 06:42:25 AM »
I don't know about the 4x Luepolds, but the 2x seem to have NO magnification at all.
As far as Burris, I bought the top line 3-12 target model and have been less than impressed. I'm not a luepold snob by any means, but I'd check the magnification on the Luepold. If it's enough power, buy it and don't look back.

Offline bobthenailer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 01:04:40 PM »
i perfer leupold 4x i have 2, i would  recomend useing extruded aluminum rings like b sq fixed