Author Topic: That's a good idea! I'm glad PETA thought of it  (Read 420 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
That's a good idea! I'm glad PETA thought of it
« on: September 28, 2006, 03:30:29 PM »
http://www.peta.org/actioncenter/ActionAlerts-item.asp?id=2040

Peta gives some really great ideas for how to conduct vermin hunts inside a big-box warehouse store.
Safety first

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: That's a good idea! I'm glad PETA thought of it
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 04:10:16 PM »

Quester, Thanks for the post about prta. I always knew that bunch were dumb
 as a bucket of rocks  (MHO)  That store has to protect their propety,  Marv.

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 12:45:54 AM »
Yup... sounds good to me!!!  At one of my past assignments, we worked in an old hangar and just couldn't keep the birds out.  We had fake owls, fake snakes, fake rats and all kinds of stuff up in the rafters but the pigeons and black birds just wouldn't stay out!  Kept leaving their calling cards on our vehicles (which were supposed to be ready to go all the time).  Finally fixed the problem by having several of us bring in pellet guns.  Our CO didn't mind that but he wouldn't let me use even .22 shorts.  Did go in on a Saturday one time with a .410 and 2.5 inch shells filled with #12's.  Those pigeons were done for then, at least up real close.  I hid on the catwalks and shot down on them so the shot would hit the floor and not any windows or equipment.  I'm glad he never found out about that Saturday!!!

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 05:39:46 AM »
We had problems with pegions at Cannon AFB when station there back in the late sixties.  Every time we opened an electronics bay on one of the F-111s. or removed the radome it was covered in bird droppings. It was a real MESS for the maintenance troops.  After a couple of week-ends with a pellet gun the problem was greatly reduced. 

Shooting the birds at Cannon was a common practice back then.  It was necessary to keep them out of the hangers and off the runways.  Something as small as a pegion sucked into a jet engine does massive amounts of damage.  When falcons didn't do the trick, this was our only choice.