Author Topic: Survivor 454/410  (Read 669 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Survivor 454/410
« on: September 27, 2006, 08:14:45 PM »
Has anyone looked into rechambering a survivor from 45/410 to 454Casull/410?  The 45 long colt lacks a lot for a true survival gun here in Alaska.  The 454Casull has a lot more going for it. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Survivor 454/410
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 08:20:39 PM »
It may be ok if used on an SB2 frame, but the .454's pressure at 50kcup is way too much for an SB1 Survivor frame. Another issue is the .45C chamber is already bigger in diameter than the .454, and you'd have one heck of a bullet jump on a barrel that doesn't have sights!

Tim

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/saami_pressures.htm

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 09:33:50 PM »
I currently carry a Contender in 45/410 when I fly.  But realistically that is not a very good combination.  Have been thinking about carrying My Savage 30-30/12ga, but it is so heavy.  Also the 30-30 leaves something to be desired in the energy department.  Could a 45-70 barrel be worked to shoot 410 shells?  I know when we were kids my brothers and I used to shoot 410s in an old trapdoor 45-70, and we're all still around to tell about it.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 01:24:49 AM »
Nevermind about the 45-70, I went out to the vault and dropped a 410 shell into my 45-70 Handi.  Won't work.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 03:50:23 AM »
Even if it did, the twist in the rifle barrel would throw your pattern all to wack.
And all the 410 barrels i have seen are quite thin. What exactly are you looking for? A versitile pack gun to take in the plane, in case of emergancy?
Just curious :)
-Aaron