Author Topic: Wow Impressive  (Read 785 times)

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
Wow Impressive
« on: October 07, 2006, 02:06:04 PM »
Finally got  to shoot my Handi 30-30 and I really like what happened. Shooting 75 yards took a little time to get the scope set had to move it up 45 clicks. Finally got it set and using Winchester 170gr silvertips had one three shot group measure 1 1/8 and another was                                  1 5/8 and had a five shot group that come in at 2 1/2 as I said I was impressed. I will be glad when opening day comes because I will have her in the stand with me. I am glad I finally got one now I thinking I going to someday have to get a Handi 280 223 45-70   

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
Re: Wow Impressive
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 03:31:13 PM »
yeah, i know how you feel, i just got and sight in my 35 whelen.. i feel the same way.. sounds like you had some nice groups there.. did you mount and bore sight the scope yourself ?
glenn

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 04:17:27 PM »
yes I mounted my own scope tried to use med. rings but they did not work so I had to use high ( quad locks) If I would have ordered the base from NEF I think I could have got away with the med. rings. I did not boresight it before shooting  I have found that most scopes that I have used were most times hitting paper and I would go from  ther but this time it was different was using a Tasco 3x9-40 and it was real low but I finally got it on paper at 25 yards and backed off and got it set.

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 04:27:48 PM »

Sounds to me like we have a couple more Handi-holics in the making.
 Congrats, Put the Backstrape in the skillet. Good Luck. Marv.

Offline Dillohide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 05:55:34 AM »
I had to use Weaver high rings on my 30-30 as well and I did have the NEF base. A lot depends on the length of your scope, the eye relief you need, etc. if you can use medium high rings. All standard factory ammo 150/170 grain from Winchester, Remington and Federal has been accurate in mine. I did find that the Federal 170 grain power shock was the most accurate ... about 1 to 1 1/2 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards but anything up to about 2 1/2 inches on paper is deer leathal. The Winchester Silvertip 170 grain is a great deer bullet.