Author Topic: Bushnell or Weaver (Which one)  (Read 1223 times)

Offline hylander

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Bushnell or Weaver (Which one)
« on: April 14, 2003, 04:24:29 PM »
Help me out: Pistol scope

Bushnell Trophy 2-6X32 or Weaver Classic 2.5-8X28
Need some Pro's & Cons.
Only con I can find with the Bushnell is the 18" of constant eye relief.
It seems that might be stretching to far to hold the gun out.
The pro is lots of good feed back & input.

One pro on the Weaver is the variable eye relief.
The con on the Weaver is I've had no feed back or Input on it so far.
how doe's it hold up to recoil, and how are they at warrenty claims.
Gimme some help (Please)

P.S. I never owned a pistol scope
Failure is not an option
Placer County, Calif.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 06:39:15 PM »
It ain't like you can see the full view with this scope ONLY at 18". Ya got a few inches of lee way in where you can hold it and still see full view. Me and thousands of others have lived with them very well for a lot of years.

I know some of the guys who post here like the Weaver's but for me given that choice it would be a no brainer, I'd go for the Bushnell.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline foxcaller

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
  • Avid Poster
scope
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 06:44:42 PM »
I went through this a few weeks ago when I was looking to purchase a new variable power scope. The Elite 3200 was highly recommended so I checked one out for myself. Even though the constant eye relief is seen as a plus by many I do not like it as the FOV is just too narrow at the higher magnifications for me. I found that I prefer the wider FOV and did not have much trouble finding the correct eye relief through the whole range of magnificaton on the scope I finally chose which is a Burris 2x-7x. The Bushnell is an awesome scope though, bright and clear and is priced very attractively. The Burris however is at the top of the heap in my opinion.  I have a friend who recently got a Weaver and he speaks very highly of it, so much in fact, that I am going to get one of them myself and give it a try. To wrap-up, field FOV is more important to me than constant eye relief. You will have to try them out and decide what works for you.

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2003, 04:53:33 AM »
I have the Burris 2x-7x and it is awesome - it has NEVER failed me.  However, I am one of those people that really likes the Elite's constant eye relief.  With my Burris, I really can't get it past 4x anyway because the scope "blacks-up."

I too wish that Elite had a wider FOV, but, at least for me, I like the constant eye relief better, plus the optics are just superb.

Also, you may just want to consider a fixed scope.

Zachary

Offline MF

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2003, 05:19:31 AM »
I'm one of the guys with the Weavers! They work plenty good enough for me, good field of view and very clear. 8)  I also like the Bushnell, Burris and Leupolds! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has trouble deciding, good luck!

Offline hylander

• Contributor
Burris Black up
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2003, 07:17:49 PM »
some have said that the burris 2-7X blacks up past 4X
what is this?
Failure is not an option
Placer County, Calif.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2003, 02:58:32 AM »
I said it. :D  

As the power increases, the Field of View decreases.  As such, while the FOV is wide at 2x, and thus the optics from edge to edge is all clear.  As you increase the power, the picture gets smaller and smaller and the outside edges are black.  Once you get up to 7x (again, at the same distance) then the outside edges come so close together that you really can't see anything.

I guess it would be easier for you to do this than me trying to explain it.  If you have a rifle scope, look through it and then turn if the power.  If your eye is the same distance from the eye piece at 3x, then you won't be able to see through the scope at 9x unless you bring your eye closer to the eye piece.

Zachary

Offline MF

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2003, 04:37:53 AM »
I agree with Zachary about the decreasing field of view. I only use the higher magnification when shooting off the bench and rarely over 4x when out hunting(except on ground squirrels or prarie dogs).

Offline hylander

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2003, 09:01:36 AM »
I have looked through the Bushnell Trophy and althrough the power range I saw no black out.
field of view got smaller but I still saw the edges of the scope.
I have not looked through a Weaver as no one in my area has one.
also I have a Tasco 2.5-10X42 varmint and a Sheperd 3-10X40 and neighter of these scope's get any blackout.
Failure is not an option
Placer County, Calif.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2003, 07:58:32 PM »
Scopes, ALL SCOPES, regardless of power range or objective size "black out" IF you get your eye outside of the exit pupil of the scope. Exit pupil is the effective objective lens size divided by the actual power. Be aware that effective objective size and actual power are NOT always what you are told they are by the manufacturer.

The higher the power and smaller the objective and also the longer the eye relief the easier it is for you to get your eye out of perfect alignment with the scope and have it black out. Another causitive factor is when the scope's adjustment range is way to one side of the range of motion. This changes the effective objective for all intents and purposes and can cause the same black out effect.

Some folks have more problems with this than others. With the Burris 2-7 I've never experienced it. Now with the Burris 3-12, that's another story altogher.  :eek:

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!