Author Topic: nef sb1 410 shooting high anyone else have this problem?  (Read 917 times)

Offline DIVR6347

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
nef sb1 410 shooting high anyone else have this problem?
« on: September 17, 2006, 04:22:09 AM »

hi all
  i bought my son a pardner sb1 410  and finally got to shoot it yesterday  only to find out that it shoots about 12 -14 inches high
shot a squirrell about 15-18 yds and pattern went right over his head and hit the dirt about 6 ft on other side 

shot at another one about  20 yds and hit him but bead was pointed at the dirt about three inches low of the squirrell 

the shot was remington 2-1/2  #6 shot  game load    anyone else have this problem   do i need to call nef to see  if they can repair it
or could a half ass good gunsmith (THATS ALL WE HAVE AROUND HERE) put a taller bead on it to bring the pattern down ?

anyone know a gunsmith who might beable to help? i really dont want my son dissapointed when he cant hit anything with it and i know the reason why!!

thanks for any help guys
divr6347

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: nef sb1 410 shooting high anyone else have this problem?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 06:06:01 AM »
Call Customer service at the 800 number in the Center Fire FAQ Stickie. They have taller beads, I have seen them on some 410's but not others. I would guess that it is around 1/4" - 3/8" tall. I am sure they will just send it to you for free.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 02:20:45 PM »
If it's going to be your sons gun you might want to see were it shoots for him before you make any changes. Was your son shooting the squirrels?
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline RugerNo3

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 02:17:51 PM »
A good fix is to find a 6in dia tree and remove the barrel form the action. Put the barrel parallel to the ground with the lug pointing at your stomach and give it a hefty tug. Repeat if necessary if still shooting high. Redneck regulating, but it works. All fine smiths use a similar system, but with an arbor press.
"Use a big enough gun!"

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 01:32:02 AM »
Make sure you are getting your cheek down on the stock far enough and or mounting the stock high enough on your shoulder.  If you are mounting the gun correctly you should not see the top of the barrel you should see only the bead just above the top of the receiver. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline DIVR6347

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 05:07:00 PM »
hey

three people have now shot this gun all with the same results so i dont think its a mounting problem

however  i contacted nef and they are sending be some taller beads so ill try that and go from there 

divr6347

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 01:37:21 AM »
hey

three people have now shot this gun all with the same results so i dont think its a mounting problem

however  i contacted nef and they are sending be some taller beads so ill try that and go from there 

divr6347

No offence intended.  I have no clue what your experience or skill level is regarding firearms. Just didn't want you to spend a bunch of time & money making changes to the gun before ruling out operator error.  A taller bead should do the trick then.  If you have the time you may want to try burnishing the barrel using 000 steel wool wrapped around the end of a dowel chucked in an electric drill.   Run the steel wool 'Q-tip' back and forth threw the barrel until you achieve a mirror like finish.  I did this with my .410 Topper and it really improved the pattern. I like the results so well that I did it to two of my other shotguns.     :) 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline pshaw

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 04:20:58 AM »
If you're using the top of the frame as a reference for your bead everything smaller than a 12 Ga will shoot high.  The frame height is the same on all gauges but the end of the barrel is not and thats where the bead is.  So smaller gauges have to be held higher to place the bead on the frame.  The smaller the gauge the higher you have to hold it.  With my 22" 20 Ga Modified the aiming point is at the very bottom of the pattern at 25 yds.