Author Topic: Frangible Shells  (Read 1106 times)

Offline kfouts2

• Trade Count: (0)
Frangible Shells
« on: August 18, 2006, 02:50:21 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with frangible shells?   I don't think I have been concerned enough about shots through walls, windows, etc.  and endangering innocent neighbors, etc.  Seems like a good frangible would be a worthy solution.

Ken

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Frangible Shells
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 04:57:47 AM »
Glaser and Magsafe make ammo like this, and I have made my own for grins. They do work well. Most won't go through 2 layers of sheetrock, or if they do won't have much energy afterward. Never tried them on glass, though. I made my own by melting the lead out of .44 jacketed bullets, filling them with #9 shot, and sealing the opening with hot glue. They'll turn a watermelon to mist but won't penetrate a wall. The delrin wadcutters described in Unintended Consequences are interesting to play with as well, if you're so inclined.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline kfouts2

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 04:52:35 PM »
Thank you very much!  I appreciate the advice and insight.  I gotta get a reloader and try some of this!
Ken

Offline PaulS

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 11:31:38 PM »
Anyone can make a bullet that disintegrates, the hard part and what gives those who produce these rounds the most trouble is making a frangible round that will stay together long enough to do damage on a bad guy. 140 grains of #9 or #12 shot is great for snakes and small birds at 10 feet but it doesn't make a good self defense round at all. (even at 10 feet)
The commercial bullets are formed under extreme pressure using special alloys and then heat treated to perform as designed. They can't be duplicated with shot capsules - even if the capsules are emptied bullet jackets. good luck if you ever had to use one of your home made frangibles on a perp.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 02:18:59 AM »
No, don't misundertand me. There's no way I'd use these homemade bullets in a serious situation. They were strictly for fun to see what would happen.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline PaulS

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 01:24:29 AM »
No, don't misundertand me. There's no way I'd use these homemade bullets in a serious situation. They were strictly for fun to see what would happen.

It's great to play with things like that as long as you know the limits - I had some "exploding" bullets that I played with for a while. They made a great ignition source for gallon cans with a couple of tables spoons of gasoline in them, especially on hot afternoons. I test fired them into everything from paper to concrete and everything in between. They made plastic gallon jugs of water do things that I had never seen. I don't think they would have been good on a living target but would have worked great on an "empty" gas tank on a car. I just could never get them accurate enough to use on anything more than about twenty yards away.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 05:09:34 PM »
Look at these guys, Iget my .17 bullets from them.  Larryhttp://www.genco-inc.com/products.htm#frag
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline boneguru

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 10:50:09 AM »
been having great results in my glock 20 (10mm) with the sinterfire loaded over win231, loves em for accuracy, and feeding is 100%
the energy is unbelievable, they move my steel heavy spinners as easily as  the 180's, nice recoil good marks...R
SUA SPONTE