Author Topic: Cannon spotted in Raton, NM  (Read 949 times)

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Cannon spotted in Raton, NM
« on: October 05, 2006, 10:36:36 AM »

This cannon was spotted in the city park in Raton, NM. 
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
Re: Cannon spotted in Raton, NM
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 10:55:14 AM »
I made so dang many many attempts to post the above picture that I don't know which of the attempts took.  And now In attempting to post two more, I'm not having any luck.   :(
I sure liked the old way of picture posting much better.

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 11:00:22 AM »

Last try.  The trunion is stamped "N.P. Ames, Founder, Springfield, Mass"

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 11:17:01 AM »
Final one.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 11:47:15 AM »
Good pix Bob!

I've heard about Ames, but can't place a location or any dates off the top of my head. 

SOMEONE will pitchin a few facts and figures.

About what caliber?

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 01:42:30 PM »
Thanks Tim.  The last picture is so small that you can't readily see it, but there is a number 6 stamped at 12:00 on the face of the muzzle.  Pretty fancy carriage, huh.  There is another cannon tube in the same park and I'll get a couple pictures of that one too.  I'm still totally confused on just what sequence we should use in posting these pictures.  When should the "insert image" button be pressed - before or after the url or img or which ever.  Man, it's difficult to teach this OLD dog any new tricks.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 02:21:28 PM »

You want to put the image url between the {img}http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/bobjan/cannondog004.jpg{/img} tags (note that I used braces in the example instead of the correct brackets.)  So click the image icon to generate the tags, put the cursor between them, and cut and paste the url in there.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 02:41:24 PM »
Looks loke a 24 pound howitzer to me? Wonder why it's painted?
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 02:48:18 PM »
Looks loke a 24 pound howitzer to me? Wonder why it's painted?
City apparently had some surplus paint and rather than dump it, thought they'd just smear it on the old cannon. ;D

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 02:50:45 PM »

You want to put the image url between the {img}http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/bobjan/cannondog004.jpg{/img} tags (note that I used braces in the example instead of the correct brackets.)  So click the image icon to generate the tags, put the cursor between them, and cut and paste the url in there.
Thanks GG.  I'll sure give that method a try on my next endeavor.  Blaster.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 04:03:08 PM »
       I think the pic is of a bronze 12 pounder heavy field gun of 1841, made by the Ames Manufacturing Co. Chicopee, (Springfield) Mass. Nathan Peabody Ames was the president of the company. Some might consider that paint scheme to be slightly sacrilegious on a bronze piece of American history but isn't New Mexico famous for its artist's colonies?
   John
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 04:12:36 PM »
Two Civil War Vintage Cannons are listed on "Known Surviving Civil War Cannon in Geographical Order" as of April 19, 2005 for Raton, NM.

The one in the photograph is a 12-pdr bronze field gun Model 1841 made by Ames in 1842, serial #6 inspected by JWR and with the weight of 1768 pounds.

The second one (not shown) is a 12-pdr bronze Napoleon Model 1857 made by Hooper, in 1863, serial #142, inspected by TJR and with a weight of 1207 pounds.
(There is a note on this list about this gun that it was captured by CSA at Chickamauga, GA.)
Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 05:41:58 PM »
If you copy the link from photobucket that has  IMG at the start and the end you don't have do anything but paste the link in. You don't have to click on anything in the reply window. It's already coded for you.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 01:01:53 AM »
If you copy the link from photobucket that has  IMG at the start and the end you don't have do anything but paste the link in. You don't have to click on anything in the reply window. It's already coded for you.

That's similar to copying the link from Hunt101.com - except there's a lot of extra stuff in the line that you should remove - leaving just the [img]http://www  ...    [img].

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 02:49:48 AM »
Thanks fellow mortar/cannon buffs for the pix posting hints etc.  I just remembered an older fellow up in Aurora, IL who was a REAL cannon person.  I doubt if he's still around any more.  His hobby was not only building cannon but he searched the entire state of Illinois for any old cannon on display.  When finding one, he'd take photo's of it and get all description possible and post it in a scrap book along with directions to the location of the piece.  He also searched the surrounding states too.  I'm gonna have to see if I can find out what ever happened to that scrap book.  His name was Elsworth Cainan.  He had business cards showing, " Cainan's Cannons". If I am ever successful in locating that book, I'll certainly share!  Blaster (Bob in So. CO)