Author Topic: 10 inch mortar muzzle ring??  (Read 858 times)

Offline entsminger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
10 inch mortar muzzle ring??
« on: October 02, 2006, 03:30:27 AM »
   Recently I went and saw Paulson Brothers 10 inch 1861 mortar Repro. I noticed it has a milled ring on the muzzle, muzzle ring, that was done so the barrel could be chucked up properly in a horizontal lathe. This ring is about 1/8th inch deep and about 3 inches wide. All of the origional 10 inch mortars I have seen including one of Paulsons have no such ring. The origional 1861 plans show no such ring? Does anyone know if other year 10 inch origional  mortars had such a muzzle ring? Do some origional 10 inch mortars have such a ring? I might consider buying theirs but if I'm gonna pay $10,500 it had better be as close to origional as possible.

Scott

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: 10 inch mortar muzzle ring??
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 11:04:24 PM »
I don't know about the 10" but on some of the images of the 13" that are posted on this forum, the band is apparent even if not part of the drawings.  Can't find them at the moment.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline entsminger

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 02:14:18 AM »
  The band on the big 13 inch mortars are actually a band that protrudes out past the general diameter of the barrel like a collar where as the ring on Paulsons 10 inch and even 8 inch mortars are a ring cut into the barrel some 1/8th to 1/4 inch deep and about 3 inches wide at the muzzle end. From talking with Kieth Frederickson ( a story of my visit with him will be in this forum soon)  who has made both a 8 and 10 inch mortar I learned the Paulsons had theirs turned on a horizontal lathe which needs to have the muzzle turned so it can fit in the huge chuck properly and acccurately.  Frederickson did his on his huge vertical lathe where the barrel sits on the hemespherical end held up by massive clamps so the muzzle need not be turned. Every 10 inch I have seen has no ring on the end but I have only seen 3 or 4. Maybe there are some out there with such a band?? There is so little information out there on these mortars that it's frustrating.

Scott

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 05:30:35 PM »
It makes sense that they machine the face, you need a square crown on a cannnon just like on a rifle.

Offline entsminger

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 09:50:54 AM »
  I agree that it makes sence that they machine the face or muzzle but my question is, did they do that on origional 8 and 10 inch mortars? I know some mortars don't have the muzzle turned but maybe others do?
I wish Wayne Stark was still alive. I need to find a mortar expert.

Thanks Scott

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 12:00:08 PM »
I'm not in management  ;D  but that sounds like an opportunity to me, especially since you live in an area with a rich history of that era of weapon.  Make yourself the new authority.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 03:21:07 PM »
  I agree that it makes sence that they machine the face or muzzle but my question is, did they do that on origional 8 and 10 inch mortars? I know some mortars don't have the muzzle turned but maybe others do?
I wish Wayne Stark was still alive. I need to find a mortar expert.

Thanks Scott

Scott -

Turning the larger diameters on a vertical lathe is MUCH easier than on a horizontal lathe - just from the standpoint of supporting the mass.

Vertical lathes are not common, and much less common today.

The were implemented where needed - as in various arsenals.  I recall seeing specialty lathes (pictures/prints) in particular in the Watervleit Arsenal (NY).  There is a machine shop in a nearby town that has one (5 or so feet high by perhaps 3' diameter).

I think therefore, that the answer would be obtainable by researching the facilities of the companies that manufactured the 8" and 10" mortars - searching through the old pictures.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline entsminger

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 10:01:41 AM »
  Funny you should say that George ( make myself the expert) . I've said more than once that by the time I'm through with researching mortars I'm gonna write a book or make a video so all can see what I've learned about mortars. As far as I've seen nobody has done a definitive book on mortars from their construction , their use in the war and present use and construction as well. I may never be able to afford one but at least I'll know a heck of alot about them and I'd love to share what I eventually learn!

Scott