Author Topic: 44 Mag Recoil ?  (Read 1470 times)

Offline kmeyer

• Trade Count: (0)
44 Mag Recoil ?
« on: September 27, 2006, 03:59:14 PM »
   Hey all....I will rent one before I buy, but have a question.  I'm considering purchasing a Ruger Blackhawk 44mag. I currently shoot a few handguns. Mostly a S$W 357 and a Thompson Contender 7-30 Waters.  For those that do not know, a 7-30 Waters is basically a 30.30 necked down to a 7mm bullet. In my pistols, the 7-30 waters is higher recoil than my 357, but does anyone know how it compares to a 44 mag? Will it be more or less recoil? Thanks all!!!

Offline Questor

Re: 44 Mag Recoil ?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 04:36:43 PM »
The 44 magnum has more recoil than the 7-30 Waters Contender. It takes some getting used to, but strikes a good balance between killing power and shootability. It's a lot like the 30-06 in that regard.
Safety first

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 12:15:48 AM »
got to agree the 44 kicks more but to me the lesser amount of muzzle blast more then makes up for it. I cranked off my waters in an enclosed deer blind once without hearing protection and couldnt hear for two days. Ears still ring years later. An experience i wont repeat. I shoot alot of heavy recoiling handguns and to me anyway muzzle blast is as much of a detriment to shooting well as recoil is even with hearing protection.
blue lives matter

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 02:19:24 AM »
I shoot a 4" 44 magnum and have found that 240 gn factory or factory equivalent loads recoil more sharply and seem to be heavier in recoil than 300 gn swcs over a charge of H110.  The heavier slugs seem to 'push' more than 'snap'.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline ed1921

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 02:31:20 AM »
The super blackhawk w/the squared off trigger guard bangs up my nuckle during recoil.
A good tight grip & a glove help if you are shooting a lot.
In a hunting situation you probably won't notice it.
I bought a set of rubber grips that fills in behind the trigger guard, but ended up removing them. The wood grips just look a lot better & fit my hand, except for the knuckle banging.
Other than that, I don't find the recoil bad. I prefer to shoot it one handed & just let the gun rotate & rise a bit.
You can always shoot .44 specials, especially if you are at an indoor range.
Indoors even w/ hearing protection it is loud. Behind the gun it's not as bad, but you will get some looks from the other lanes. ;)

Offline StrawHat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 04:02:22 AM »
As ed1921 said, start out with the light stuff (44 Special) and work up.

I had a SBH for quite a few years and had too many loads worked up for it.  Finally simplified my reloading bench, got rid of the 44's and have only teo loads for my 45 LC.

If you reload start with the Special recipes. If you don't reload, I suggest you get a reloading outfit and start.  Not so much to save money but so you can tailor loads to your levels of proficiency.

G'luck

"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 04:28:21 AM »
You're thinking right when you said you would rent one prior to buying. The "PlowHandle"style grip makes things a little differrent than your standard grips. The gun will kinda roll back in your hand. I've had my knuckles cracked more than once with Blackhawks and will continue to because I ain't gonna quit shooting 'em !

As stated earlier that noise level is entirely different also. This can change the preception of recoil also.

HWD

Offline Tom C.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 06:27:23 AM »
I have found that, with large hands like mine, the thickness and circumference of the grips is very important to avoid getting your knuckles rapped. I don’t care for the standard Ruger grips. I prefer Eagle gunfighter grips; smooth for heavy recoil, checkered for light recoil situations. They are thinner and flatter than the standard grips. I put them on my Bisley and they keep me from bruising my knuckle. They work magnificently on my 5 ½” Super Blackhawk. My Super Blackhawk is now much more comfortable to shoot than my Redhawk.
Tom

Offline Catfish

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 06:33:45 AM »
The felt recoil of the .44 mag. will vary a great deal depending upon the gun it is fired in. It will seem to have alot more recoil in a 10 in. barreled Contender than in my 4 in. barreled 629 S&W. If your getting a T/C barrel I would recomand a 14 in. barrel. It will give you more velosity, alittle less muzzle blast, and less felt recoil. When scoped this gun should be have very manageable recoil.

Offline NFG

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 09:14:36 AM »
I totaly agree with Catfish, and all the other replies added excellent tips.  I also think recoil is, in large part, in the mind.  Too much "stuff" going around about recoil this and recoil that.  The best way to find out how much you can tolerate is, as you say, rent one and find out for yourself. Try a 454 Casual, a 445 Super Mag, 480 Ruger, 500 S&W if you can find them.  That will give you a tight lock on what to expect.  Recoil is a function of bullet weight, gun weight, velocity and powder charge, you can mix and match them all.  Now if you want recoil, try a hot loaded Bull Dog 44 spectial at about 2 lbs loaded.  ;D

I've shot many different large caliber pistols and revolvers and I have/had several Ruger Blackhawks over the years.  I like the Ruger style handle much better than the S&W 629.  My present favorite Ruger Blackhawk was nipped off at 6" loaded with 265 gr Hornady's at near 1400 f/s.  Seems to balance better in my hand.  All my Rugersl sported Pachmayr grips and I used a padded glove.  I guarantee racking off a cylinder full of 240's loaded max in a Ruger is much more pleasant than the same in a 4" "Dirty Harry".

I also rechambered an XP100 7mm BR to 284 Win because I wanted a "light", mo'bigga', carry gun for hunting brush and hills.  Problem was it ended up weighing 6 lbs with scope and one round.  100-110 bullets put out about 16 ft lbs of recoil, but the muzzle blast and fire ball would almost barbaque what ever you were shooting at.  Double ear protection was a must and just barely helped.  I also shot 150-160 gr at 21 ft lbs.  One shot would clear the game for miles around...and hunters too.   A hot loaded 44 Mag with 240 gr bullet churns up around 16 ft lbs also. 

Now to the point.  Many times when I headed for a public range I would take the XP.  There is always someone around making noise about recoil and how much they can handle.  I would whip out the 284, load up a 110 and let'er rip.  The muzzle flip would put the muzzle right in the middle of your forehead if you weren't holding on tight and had a locked elbow.  Most of the time the noisy ones would drift away when I offered to let them shoot it.  Once in a while I would get a taker.  I would explain the hows and what for's, I didn't want anyone to get a crease, let them shoot a 110, then a 150, or as many as they wanted.  Remember the recoil of the 44 Mag and the 110 were almost the same.  Most of the time they were pleasantly surprised and the other "Big Dogs" didn't seem as bad after all.  A good muzzle brake or Magna porting would have cured that muzzle flip, but I never got around to doing that project.

It just takes practice and consentration to get good at it.  You might find the hype about how narly the recoil is just that, HYPE.  Now a 45-70 recoil is a horse of another color, it REALLY has  RECOIL....Hairy and scary you say...a 4 lb pistol with 300 gr bullet at 1400 f/s does about 22 ft lbs...just about the same as the 284 with 150's.  Still vigorus, but it won't tear your arm off and it barely hurts for just a little while.  :D  Hey, it's all fun....

Everyone I know who has/had a 44 Maggy single shot pistol always liked them.  The longer the barrel and the heavier the pistol, the less the felt recoil.  You might look at a 16 1/4" barrel if you're not set on a shorter one.  That way you can shoot it as a pistol or a rifle.  Best of both worlds. 8)

Offline kmeyer

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 07:15:20 AM »
Thanks for all the info everyone. When shooting it one handed, which way will it roll? I am left handed and shoot my 357 S&W with my right hand over my left. The 44mag I really am considering buying is at the link below and I would scope it as well.  Thanks again all.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=860&return=Y

Offline kmeyer

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 11:16:34 AM »
   Just thought I would follow up here in case someone else is curious as well. I found out a buddy had a 44 mag redhawk and I didn't even know it. We went out shooting it and I was really surprised at how little I noticed the recoil. It really feels very similiar to my S&W 686 .357.  Now of course I'm wondering about the 454 Casull....lol.  I'm thinking now I will probably pick up a 44 mag blackhawk. I know it will handle much diferent than a redhawk, but can't see it being a problem. Thanks everyone for the input.

Offline Broom Rider

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 02:08:26 PM »
My first handgun was a Redhawk in 44.......I still have it, although it's had Herrett's added to it, a Bowen rear sight, trigger job and somewhere along the way I had it magnaported which I wish I hadn't done. It's a great gun and only the second 44 I ever fired.
Lynnie, NRA Life Member

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 02:21:25 PM »
Broom Rider,

Why do you regret the Magna-porting?

Offline Broom Rider

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 02:35:41 PM »
To me it seems to have done little in the way of recoil reduction and in return gives more noise. It wasn't a bad choice, just not one I would again if I had another Redhawk.
Lynnie, NRA Life Member

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 03:44:57 PM »
I load 12gr of Winchester Superfield under a Rem 210gr HP for my S&W 629 Powerport. A freind shot it today and claims it has less felt recoil than his .45 Glock. This load does a good job on deer for me.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 04:50:48 AM »
Joni, I can't speak for double action gun as they don't fit me well with my small hands.  But on a single action, I love my Mag-na-porting!  A single action rolls in your hand more and it seems to cut the roll back quite a bit.  As for noise level, I haven't really noticed any difference.  With muffs on it's not noticeable, without............. what did you say?  I can't hear for serveral minutes with or without Mag-na-porting!  Glad you updated your picture by the way.  Much nicer.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Broom Rider

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 12:55:48 PM »
Thanks........I appreciate the compliment.
Despite what I said about the porting I just took delivery of a new single action 44 and I had it set up with 2 ports. It's pictured in the Freedom Arms section. I figured the porting would cut down a bit of the roll of a single action.
Now I just need to get to the range with the new 44 and these two.

Lynnie, NRA Life Member

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2006, 01:14:29 PM »
Joni is there a handgun you dont have? Ya know i still want to marry you!!
blue lives matter

Offline Broom Rider

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2006, 01:22:22 PM »
Yes, lots I don't have........few imports, no Taurus, Rossi, SA..........and a lot more that I don't have or never had.
Lynnie, NRA Life Member

Offline Hook686

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2006, 10:29:07 PM »
I shoot a S&W 629 6-1/2" ported classic ... I find recoil to be very dependent upon the ammunition I am shooting. 180 grain Remington I find the recoil stout and sharp, while Black Hills 240 grain I find just stout. I also find some, like the Speer Short Barrel 200 grain GDHP to be somewhat mild (not as stout as a 180 grain Buffalo Bore .3357 magnum, in my 4" S&W 686).

I shot a S&W .460 today, 200 grain bullet. Now I was surprised that the recoil there was not much different than 300 grain bullets from my .44 magnum. If you reload, you can load many moderate recoil rounds, if you don't like the Speer offering.
Hook686