Author Topic: 20 GA deer gun  (Read 832 times)

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
20 GA deer gun
« on: October 19, 2006, 03:26:29 AM »
I got my 20 ga. pardner back from NEF yesterday ,with it's new Tracker 1 barrel.This has got to be one of the best close cover deer guns you will ever find. A lite, HANDY,quick handeling little gun with plenty of close range punch.Just what is needed in the new growth forests and overgrown woodlots in some of the areas I hunt. Anyone with a pardner frame should order one of these barrels while they are still available.I may even get another in 12 ga.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline Big Burtha

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 20 GA deer gun
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 06:16:59 AM »
How is a Tracker 1 20 ga. barrel different from the Tracker ll rifled 20 ga. sabot slug barrel ? Is the Tracker l 20 ga. barrel you have a smooth bore barrel , for rifled slugs ? Thanks, Dan in NJ.

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 12:50:53 PM »
yup   the   Tracker 1   is the smoothbore  slug barrel . It is a true cilinder bore with rifle sights. Will shoot any brand of the old style foster slugs , which are about 1/4 the price of the newer saboted style. Plenty of power out to 100 yds.

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 03:54:23 PM »
I agree buddy, the Tracker 1's in both 12 and 20 gauge (I luckily have one of each) are great for deer in the NorthEast where most shots are in thickley wooded areas and well under 75 yards. I also have a Tracker II in 12 gauge which is great but I always seem to reach for my 12 gauge Tracker 1....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline lefty red

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 05:52:31 PM »
Here in the Midwest, we use alot of slugguns.

I grew up with an old H&R 48 in 20ga.  I had a "Tracker 1" type barrel for it and have taken clean kills out to 100 yards.  But most were under 60 yards due to brush.  the 100 yarder shot was on an edge of a thicket and cornfield.

I also like the smoothbore for casting your own slugs.

Lefty
I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

I ain't never been lost in my life, been a might confused for a month or so.....

Pilgram, are you sure you know how to skin grizzer bear.....

Don't run little squirrel, you'll only die tired....

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 04:08:10 AM »
Question for Lefty Red.  The home cast slugs, are they as good as the store bought foster type? I do a lot of casting for my muzzleloaders and have been curious about the slugs for some time. Do you use pure lead or cast them harder?