Author Topic: My first cannon  (Read 1247 times)

Offline and7barton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
My first cannon
« on: October 29, 2006, 04:52:10 AM »
Here's a picture of my first proper cannon, which I built around 1989.
It was 2" calibre. I later sold it to a ACW society here in England.
Richard
Founder in 1986 of Historical Artillery Corps, later changed to Historical Artillery UK.
Builder of Cannons and models for South-Western Artillery, Fort Amhurst, Coalhouse Fort and private commissions.
Technical Consultant for two episodes of Scrapheap Challenge. Ex Pyrotechnic Safety Officer at Coalhouse Fort. I go trekking and survivalist camping - build experimental tents and survival equipment - caving.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: My first cannon
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 05:34:18 AM »
Welcome Richard, glad to have you drop in.  Tell us about that gun, pretty nice looking.  What are you shooting now?

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 06:05:19 AM »
I've made around ten guns to date - That one was the first "proper" gun. The barrel is a hydraulic pipe liner, cast into a massive aluminium jacket by gunmaker in Birmingham. I built all the rest from scratch, apart from the wheels, which were supplied by Croford, who make wheels for the big royal carriages our queen rides in on state occasions. Since this gun I've built another nine.... some field carriages, some naval and garrison type. I'm in the process of having a new all steel barrel made by an engineering company to my specs..... two inch calibre, length around four feet, with several reinforces back towards the breech end.It's all steel, and will be powder-coated in silver. This will have a naval carriage. I'll be casting lead balls for it.
Should be nice.
Richard
Founder in 1986 of Historical Artillery Corps, later changed to Historical Artillery UK.
Builder of Cannons and models for South-Western Artillery, Fort Amhurst, Coalhouse Fort and private commissions.
Technical Consultant for two episodes of Scrapheap Challenge. Ex Pyrotechnic Safety Officer at Coalhouse Fort. I go trekking and survivalist camping - build experimental tents and survival equipment - caving.

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 06:50:42 AM »
Here's another gun from around 1990 - The barrel on this one can only fire blank charges. Shown with red primer on - prior to painting black. This one is now owned by a re-enactment group at a fort near Chatham, Kent.

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 06:53:18 AM »
Another one - This time on a naval carriage. This stood guard for five years in my front yard until I moved away. and sold it to my next door neighbour !   -  So it then moved about six feet from its previous position !
Richard

Offline Michael Az

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 09:53:21 AM »
Nice guns, looks like you had fun building them too. Also like the old motor.
Michael

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 10:02:15 AM »
Do you mean my car ? - or the old Petter 4 horsepower petrol stationary engine ?

Offline Michael Az

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 01:15:10 PM »
Yes, the stationary engine.
Michael

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 08:29:39 AM »
Well, after waiting for some considerable time, it looks like the commission for a new cannon has changed his mind. I've now put into motion my own design and build plan for a machined barrel for myself.
It's in the hands of a local engineering company, and is a golfball howitzer. It will be on a naval / fortress carriage. I've seen the big steel billet.......now awaiting some action on their part.