Author Topic: case hardening frame  (Read 436 times)

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
case hardening frame
« on: October 10, 2006, 02:09:02 AM »
hi, i have a H&R .410 its  a 1974 make its in next to new shape and unmodified, but its has a frame that cools to be case hardened, its a blue and gold swirl and it looks as to cover the entire frame, by looking at there the underlug rests when the barrel is on the gun. question, is this a true case hardening or is it just a coating ? if its hardened then would thid frame be stronger then a blued one ? i assume that i have an sb1 frame, but not sure how to tell.
cheers

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: case hardening frame
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 10:46:54 AM »
All of the old H&R frames prior to 1987 used one frame, there was no SB1 or SB2 designation. FWIW, they were much weaker frames than have been produced since 1999. Color case hardening is a surface hardening, it doesn't go all the way thru the metal as do regular metal heat treating does, in fact, for modern usage, it's probably more ornamental than for strength. I've used Kasenit to heat treat frizzens on my flintlocks, but once the surface wears away, the sparks stop, time to treat it again!!

Tim

http://yarchive.net/metal/case_hardening.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
Re: case hardening frame
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 01:58:05 AM »
thanks tim, thats the kind of info i was looking for.. i guess i wont fiddle with it too much then. sure is a nice looking little gun, to bad its in .410, not sure what i'll do with it other then shoot tree rats
thanks, glenn