Author Topic: FA 97 22lr  (Read 1809 times)

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
FA 97 22lr
« on: July 21, 2003, 01:07:31 PM »
On my mind for the longest while has been a FA 97 22lr. I was talking to my distributor today about a 7.5” model with 22mag cylinder. To order this gun I’m looking at $1850. He has a 5.5” version in stock with the magnum cylinder on special for $1565. Now I’m beginning to wonder if 2 more inches of barrel are worth $285. Any thoughts on this? I want this gun for squirrels and cotton tails. I wonder how a Leup 2x would fit on such a small gun. I figured the extra two inches would help the lil 22lr bullet a good bit as far a velocity goes. Give me your thoughts on this. My distributor also said the 5.5” version is much more popular than the 7.5” according to his production charts. Either he really wants to move this gun or he wants a premium to order one. On the other FA’s I have ordered there wasn’t such a large difference in price when compared to the ones he had in stock.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
FA 97 22lr
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 01:27:41 PM »
there a sweet little gun to me the shorter barrell would be the way to go but then I dont like long barells.
blue lives matter

Offline mrmarklin

• Trade Count: (0)
FA 97 22lr
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 06:05:47 PM »
8)
I have the 5.5" version, and I don't think you gain much if at all with 2 more inches.

The big issue is ease of carry.  A 5.5" is easily carried in a holster whereas a longer gun is awkward.  Of course if the gun is to be scoped, it's a moot point.  Personally I only scope my Contenders.

BTW this is a fairly large gun, and the additional weight of a scope wouldn't make a lot of difference to comfort etc.  Most of the guns built on this frame are .357 Magnums, .45s etc.

Offline Henry Bowman

FA-97 .22LR?
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 07:17:37 PM »
Well I suppose since you've already decided to spend $1565.00 on a twenty two caliber hangun then a couple hundred dollars ain't that much more.
I gotta ask you gentlemen though, what exactly does the Freedom Arms product offer that a Ruger doesn't provide for that extra thousand or so dollars?
I had the opportunity this past weekend to shoot a friends target model Ruger I think called the Great Eight that was unbelieveably accurate, more so than my cherished S&W model #41!!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
Re: FA-97 .22LR?
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2003, 11:23:04 PM »
a ruger is a tool a FA gun is a work of art! fit and finish is superb and so is the accuracy. If you had one to compare side by side youd be saving your pennys to buy one. I dont have one yet I have quite a few custom handguns but never have purchased a FA gun Mostly because im partial to blued guns. Someday though a 97 in either .44 special or .45 will be in the cabinet.
Quote from: Henry Bowman
Well I suppose since you've already decided to spend $1565.00 on a twenty two caliber hangun then a couple hundred dollars ain't that much more.
I gotta ask you gentlemen though, what exactly does the Freedom Arms product offer that a Ruger doesn't provide for that extra thousand or so dollars?
I had the opportunity this past weekend to shoot a friends target model Ruger I think called the Great Eight that was unbelieveably accurate, more so than my cherished S&W model #41!!
blue lives matter

Offline TScottO

• A Real Regular
FA 97 22lr
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 02:26:51 PM »
Lloyd about said it all.

FA guns are like Ruffles potatochips. You cannot have just one. I first learned about FA off of gun forums. The first one I bought was site unseen. I had never seen or shot a FA before but I was wanting a 454 Casull. There were only a few optioins at the time, a custom built Ruger or FA. I asked alot of questions on gun forums and was influenced towards the FA. I bought one and have since had a love afair I'll never be able to quit. To really have a full understanding of what these guns mean and why people pay this kind of money you have to have access to one. I'm not a wealth guy by any means but I'd rather save and buy one FA in place of 4 or 5 other guns. It's plane and simple...you get what you pay for. I hope one day you treat yourself to one.

If you are ever in SW Lousiana you are more than welcome to shoot mine and I'll take care of the ammo.

Scott

Offline Henry Bowman

Why Thank You Scott!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2003, 04:19:23 PM »
Thanks for the offer Scott, although I currently own a pair of FAs I plan on selling the '83 454 Casull and keeping the '97 in .45LC
as the '97 is such a unique tool.
I'm pondering the similiarities beween FA owners and HD owners after reading some threads on FAs!
Then again the rice rockets and the V Twins are built in seperate factories while Ruger makes FA components as wellas their own fine products.
LLoyd, I've seen a few blackened FAs over the years. I know one was blued stainless like S&W has done but I don't recall if the others were Robar NP3 or what. I've just started researching a new plasma applied ceramic coating that might just be the cutting edge for this application.

Offline BigBoreSixgun

FA97
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2003, 10:49:15 AM »
I have a FA97 22/22mag. 7.5'' barrel.Wih a Bushnell 2x6 on it.
     If your going to put a scope on it, I would go with the 7.5''
   I feel the longer barrel helps with the 22mag. I get 1800fps with 30gr. Tnt and Fed.30gr. Sierras.The 34gr. WW Supreme and Rem.33gr.V-Max go 1700+.
     I'll probably use the WW Supreme,they average about an 1-1/4''@ 50yds
     The 22lr cylinder does well with almost any ammo.Run of the mill bulk 22lr-hp ammo, will usually stay inside 1.75''@50yds. Your better match ammo will  stay inside of an inch. This cylinder is the standard one, not the match chambering.
                                                            NQuintel

Offline TScottO

• A Real Regular
FA 97 22lr
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2003, 12:39:41 PM »
I talked with a man by the name of John at FA yesterday. I was asking him about the match cylinder. He didn't recommend the match cylinder over the sporting unless someone was shooting serious competition. He said you actually have to seat the bullets with a wooden dowel when loading the match cylinder in order to seat the bullet deep enough so the cylinder could rotate.

Scott

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
FA 97 22
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2003, 09:36:07 AM »
I'd get the 5.5 barrel - much handier gun to tote and shoot.  BTW did you ever get that gun - if I  had the $ I'd grab it.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline TScottO

• A Real Regular
FA 97 22lr
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2003, 05:03:33 PM »
Hello Dand,

I'll be ordering the gun next week. I'm going to go with the 5 1/2 he has in stock. It has everything I want except the inverted crown. Guess I'll have to order a holster from Elpasso Saddlery now. I would like to try out San Pedro but I have prior experiance with Elpasso and have been fully satisfied. Just in time for squirrel season too.

Maybe next year I'll look into a 97, 45Colt. One of these days I'll get around to picking up a nice O/U shotgun but I just cannot seem to kick this bug that I have. :?

I sure wish the used gun market was better around here. We only have one gunshow and deals are hard to find.

Have a good one,
Scott

Offline TScottO

• A Real Regular
FA 97 22lr
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2003, 01:03:25 PM »
I picked her up from the gun shop today. Hopefully Satruday or Sunday I'll be able to see how she shoots. The factory target was 3/4" @ 25 yards. FA said that the groups will improve after the barrel has broken in more. We'll see.

Scott

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
FA 97 22lr
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2003, 02:01:27 PM »
hey scott thousands to spend on casting a new FA .22 You must have ran ito a money tree. Want to adopt a 47 year old son. :-D
blue lives matter

Offline TScottO

• A Real Regular
FA 97 22lr
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2003, 03:42:15 PM »
:shock:  Lloyd, my money tree is wilting fast!

The first half of each year I’m on the road a lot and don’t have time to play or spend any cash. By July or August I’m about to bust. So I go a little crazy..lol I think it’s good therapy. After the casting equipment my toys will be done for the year and by the time Christmas is over I’ll be ready to settle down for another 6 months or so.

As far as adopting goes.........can you cook?! We might work out a deal :-D

I got a pretty good tip on a used MagmaStar size-lube tool. I'm waiting on a relpy now.

Thanks a bunch
Scott