Author Topic: Need Help  (Read 853 times)

Offline floridaboy

• Trade Count: (0)
Need Help
« on: March 04, 2008, 01:54:37 PM »
I just got a couple of black and tan pups. I was wondering how to go about training them to bloodtrail? Can a deerdog bloodtrail as well? Id appreciate any help.

Kevin

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Need Help
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 03:14:16 PM »
Have no clue how to train one.  I have a blue heeler that will blood trail providing people do not walk ahead or her.  Seems that once the deer's track has been walked on, she gets confused.  She is age 4 now, and was a better blood tracker at age 1& 2, but she only get a few chances per year, and lately the tracks have been walked on extensively.  She is a herding dog and probably doesn't have the greatest nose.  It sure is rewarding when she finds someones deer.

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 02:37:40 AM »
Check out www.Leerburg.com. They have great articles for dog training and can refer trainers in your area if you send them an email. I emailed them for a trainer in my area who use similar training techniques as theirs. They did and I took my dog for formal training (not in tracking though) and he is a robot now when it comes to commands. I have an American Pit Bull Terrier.

Interesting site (and forum) for all dog owners anyway.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 06:40:36 AM »
You can train a tracking hound to track anything thru selective praise and punishment.  Are you wanting to train it to track a wounded deer? How about a track with no blood? 

Offline floridaboy

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 05:46:46 PM »
I want them to do both if possible. Id appreciate any advice you can give.
Thanks, Kevin

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 04:01:21 AM »
Lotsa good books on training hounds. Also you might want to go over to the dog room. There's some pretty sharp guys over there. Victor Charlie has some prize winning small hounds and there are others that I'm sure will be glad to help.