Author Topic: Hornady 250 grain 20 gauge round?  (Read 912 times)

Offline TNhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Hornady 250 grain 20 gauge round?
« on: July 14, 2006, 04:54:34 PM »
I've seen them on the Bass Pro and Midway USA websites.  Has anyone tried them out yet in their USH?

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Hornady 250 grain 20 gauge round?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 06:00:35 PM »
I bought some last week, but at $2.75 a pop after taxes it will wait for a calm cool day before I shoot them. I made a post in the slug gun forum below.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,94446.0.html
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline TNhunter

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 02:43:04 PM »
I'm only going to get one box when I get them in order a try and buy type plan.  I've tried SEVERAL diffent shells in my USH 20 gauge and am not 100% satisified in any of their accuracy performance at 100 yards.  The two I have left to try are the Winchester Platinum Tip and these 250 grain SST.  From what I've read the USH doesn't necessarily like the high speed rounds as well.  I was expecting these 20 gauge rounds to be more around the 1600 fps range.  So with them being 1800 fps they might not perform as well as I had hoped.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 07:22:51 PM »
I guess I am lucky, mine lkes everything. Most everything is under 2", with a few MOA groups. The 20ga has a 1-28" twist which should be good for all these slugs.

Make sure you haven't got any plastic fouling built up in your bore.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline TNhunter

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 07:35:07 PM »
Finally got to the range this afternoon to try out the Hornady SST 20 gauge round.  I also shot the Winchester Platinum Tip.  Since last fall when I had patterned about 5 different rounds I had put in the rubber o-ring between the barrel and forearm, so from 100 yards the gun shot a little higher.  From 100 yards I'm pleased with both the Winchester Platinum Tip and Hornady SST.  The WInchester round drops about 1" further than the Hornady round.  Both shot about the same grouping (2" - 2.5").  I'll be using the Hornady round this fall!

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 12:10:59 PM »
TNhunter,

Glad the SST's worked for you, they didn't do so well for me. I will give them another shot when the weather gets cooler to see if that will make a difference. I think I only had one group below 4", most everything else is under 2", with some that have been under 1". I have a Tracker II barrel now too, so will give tham a try in it also. :)
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Flatshooter

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 12:18:42 PM »
 ;D
Got to try them out last night with my new 20 USH. BANG=FLOP
138 yards high double lung shot. Nice mature doe. Makes the pain from this past MZ season go away a bit and nice to have fresh meat in the freezer.
Aim High & Let It Fly!

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 03:55:13 AM »
Flatshooter,

Congratulations! Did you get a pass through or did you recover the bullet? Just curious to know how they are doing, and haven't seen a report on deer with them yet.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Flatshooter

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 07:07:18 AM »
Busta- Complete pass through. I did go back yesterday and look, but no luck. The slug hit a rib on the entry, high in the  lungs, then between ribs on the exit. Exit hole was bigger than the entry, but undercover of darkness I couldnt tell you how much bigger. But while examing the lungs you can see a clean wound channel, not ragged and you can actualy see the channel growing wider until the exit hole, pretty cool to see, acutally this is the first time I took the time to examine. The wound channel was I am guessing 4"-5" below the spine, so I am guessing the exerted energy that close to the spinal cord was the reason she never moved. I got to her about 10 minutes after I shot since it was last light and she was dead upon my arrival. I was planning on using the Winchester Partiion Golds, but I got lazy after the last range time and never replenished my slug aresenal, so I went out with the two remaining SST's and four Platinum Tips that I had.
I did purchase one box each of all major brands out there today and shot one box of Rem. CLU's, Win. PG's, and three rounds of the SST's. You could of put a golf ball through the groupings of the CLU's and PG's. Once I got the scope 2.5" high dead ceter of bullseye with a combination (10 rounds) of the CLU's and the PG's I then shot three rounds of the SST's and they clover leafed ontop of the other ones. Pretty impresive.
Aim High & Let It Fly!