Author Topic: Barrel side play  (Read 395 times)

Offline huntnut

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Barrel side play
« on: October 19, 2006, 02:16:09 PM »
I went out and shot some rock today with my nef 10ga and when I came in to clean it, the barrel rocks side to side just alittle, open and closed, less closed. Its a factory gun so it should have been fitted right. I have shot 2 boxs of differnt steel shot and 20 or so turkey reloads, all loads are loads out of many name brand books. I just woundered if it was going to hurt anything or not, I put a peace of note book paper on the pivot pin and it locks up like it should , so its about .004" loss. Any ideas? Maybe the factory didn't set it up right or maybe the frame streched a little, just dont know.
AIM SMALL MISS SMALL 1 SHOT 1 KILL

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Barrel side play
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 02:26:22 PM »
Unless the frame is defective, I would think there may have been a burr on the underlug pivot that wore off and caused the looseness, the 10ga at 11kpsi doesn't produce enough pressure to stretch a good frame. Hubel458 shoots 600gr bullets at 1700-2000fps in his Ultraslug gun which uses the 10ga frame.

They should have caught that before it left H&R, I would contact H&R on their toll free line and have them fix it on their dime, including shipping.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline huntnut

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 02:39:15 PM »
quickdtoo: thanks for the fast reply. I temperarly fixed it with a aluminum pop can worked great I well get some feeler gauges and epoxy it in after less weekends hunt.
AIM SMALL MISS SMALL 1 SHOT 1 KILL

Offline a45gunslinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.zippyvideos.com/8333718701028686/000_0452/
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 04:56:05 PM »
Jb "stick" works well for filling in the gaps of an H&R.  I've used it on several of my H&R rifles and it makes them lock up tight with no play..- Kevin