Author Topic: 16 gauges  (Read 1525 times)

Offline mr.frosty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
16 gauges
« on: September 02, 2004, 04:31:34 PM »
ok I saw alot of post about 410,20 and the 12 ga.
What about the ( in my opinion) one of the better gauges the 16?
Less recoil than the 12,a little more oomph than the 20,and besides they did make a comeback a small comeback anyway.
I have a topper model 158 I've had it since I was 15 and still shoots great.
Just curious is all.
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • The Daily Limit
16 gauges
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 05:23:21 PM »
i'm not a fan... i'd say the 16 is a jack-of-all-trades and master of none... my biggest complaint is that finding ammo away from home can be difficult... 12ga shells can be found anywhere, most of which don't carry much of a 16ga selection...

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
16 gauges
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 01:17:25 AM »
mr.frosty, I agree with you on the 16, a great old nostalgic gun. I have an old 16 gauge over & under that is wonderful to carry. I have heard it said that with the advances in shells the 20 is as good now as the 16 was. But wouldn't that make the 16 better also?...I have always been able to find 16 gauge shells where ever I went. True, not in the selection of 12's but I always could get shells that would do the job at hand. The biggest (non) problem was steel, which was a non-problem because I don't shoot it in this gun anyway...as you can tell I also like the 16's....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
16 gauges
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 03:19:56 PM »
I plan to buy a 16 as soon as I can sneak $65.00 past my wife. It's in great shape and it has been sitting in a local gun store for way to long. I've already got an old 16 sxs stevens and a mossberg bolt action. Everything everyone else said is true. Pro and con. I guess it's the nostalga and  the fact that it's the just right fit for some people and some shooting situations.I've used mine primarily for squirel and rabbit. I hope to shoot a few dove with the sxs next week. I think big bore fan is a 16ga man.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
16 gauges
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 01:10:52 PM »
Hey Markus,   :D   just to let you know i'm back up in Maryland
I've been restationed to Site R (Alternate National Military Command Center) in thurmont Maryland.  It's a Fort inside a mountain.  Cool huh ?
Well back to the tread.
I sent out this morning squirrel hunting with my NEF 16 ga this morning.
I love this 16 ga it shoots great, ammo is plentyful and its just the right size gun for small game hunting.  Just my two cents
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
16 gauges
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 01:29:29 PM »
DaveH, glad to see you agree with my feelings on the 16 gauge. By the way I have been anxiously awaiting your final word on the .410 barrel, can I send you a check?....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
16 gauges
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2004, 06:37:26 PM »
The 16ga. is the first shotgun I ever shot. My grandpa had several so that is what I grew up using. The 16 fell out of favor for a lot of years and ammo was hard to find but it seems the last 10 years or so it is making a good comeback and ammo is once again becoming plentiful. It will handle most anything a 12ga. will other than waterfowl and with less punishment to the shooter. :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
16 gauges
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 11:15:56 AM »
I'd love to see H&R come out with a 16 GA Ultra Slugger...I don't think it will ever happen but I would be the first in line to purchase one if they did.  That would also depend on who manufactures sabot slugs for the job too...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Rogmatt

• Contributor
16 gauges
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 12:58:06 PM »
I have an affection for the 16 Gauge. I have 2  16 Gauge shotguns and will have another one in a couple months.  16 Ga ammo is becoming available in most stores. Even Walmart has it in field and Highbrass.

Offline etothepii

16 gauges
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004, 02:58:56 PM »
I inherited my grandfather's Model 12 Winchester in 16 g. I love it for the obvious sentimental reasons, and because I got my first deer with it. Fourteen years old, 75 yards, bead sight, hit in the vitals!

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
16 gauges
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2004, 03:35:08 PM »
I had never owned a 16ga, but my dad had two of 'em and loved them. He passed away last year and left me his Browning "SWEET SIXTEEN" with both a slug barrel and a bird barrel. I have not shot it yet, but have lots of ammo for it. He has two boxes of 25 count slugs that I had never even seen before, didn't even know they even packaged them in 25's.

Now that you guys have been talking about these 16's, I just may have to get out and shoot her a few times. I have never shot slugs through it but I have shot some copper plated high brass loads through it when he was patterning it for turkeys. I did have the pleasure of calling in his first gobbler for him before he was too sick from cancer to hunt. The old 16 did just fine on that old gobbler and I will have that memory with me forever. He sure got a kick out of that.

I think I'll get it out and shoot a few slugs through it, maybe even take it out and shoot a buck with it. I bet ol' Dad would get a chuckle out of that!  :wink:
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
16 gauges
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2004, 03:41:45 PM »
Hey Busta, That old (Belgian?) Browning "Sweet Sixteen" is going to be one of the finest guns you will ever get the oppuntunity to shoot. Right up there with an early Winchester Model 12..A quality weapon of the old school, cherish it for many reasons....<><.... :grin:

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
16 gauges
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2004, 06:39:29 AM »
etothepii...That's the same gun that I inherited from my grandfather. Winchester Model 12 16 GA...It has a poly-choke on it and a bead site...Nice and light.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
16 gauges
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2004, 10:13:55 AM »
Markus, you are right. I really like the 16 gauge. Great gun. Like the one guy said, kicks like a 20 and kills like a 12. I would like to get a extra 16 gauge barrel and cut it down to around 23'' or 24'' and get it drilled and tapped for a scope mount. I think that would be a sweet slug gun. Should have more energy than a 20 and not as much kick as the 12 gauge. I get my 16 gauge shells locally and they're only 6.00 or 7.00 dollars a box for high brass Federals. Would like to see a good 2 3/4 turkey mag for the good ole 16.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
16 gauges
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2004, 03:00:26 PM »
Quote from: BIGBOREFAN
Would like to see a good 2 3/4 turkey mag for the good ole 16.BBF

BBF,

When my dad was looking for a turkey load, we soon discovered that nobody marketed a 16 ga load for turkeys. However I did some research on available loads and Federal makes a Premium Magnum copper plated 2-3/4" 16ga load with 1-1/4 oz #6 shot in a 25 pack. It has the same amount of shot as the copper plated 3" 20 ga Premium Magnum Turkey load. The 16ga has 3-1/4 dram eq. powder versus 3 dram eq. in the 3" 20 ga.

Both of these loads will absolutely floor a Turkey within 30 yards with the right choke without a problem. My son shot two with his NWTF J.A.K.E.S. Topper Junior Classic with MOD choke at 22 yds and 25 yds. My dad shot his with the 16 ga with the above load at 20 yds. None of these birds knew what hit them.

The load # for the 2-3/4" 1-1/4 oz 16 ga Copper Plated Federal Premium Magnum is
P165, for #6's it would be P165 6, I think #4's would be P165 4, etc,. They are MUCH cheaper per shell in the 25 count boxes versus the 10 count Turkey Load boxes also. :wink:
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: 16 gauges
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2004, 03:44:50 AM »
I have my late uncle's 16ga SxS LefeverĀ® Nitro Special made in 1922. It was my only gun growing up in the 1960's. I used it for everything; including geese.

I have completely restored it: reamed the chamber out to 2Ā¾" from the original 2 9/16"; refinished the stock; reblued the barrels; etc......

The memories I have with the gun are enormous. It's my choice for the uplands & everything else save waterfowl. I've had a ton of shotguns since then; in all the gauges & configuations. Nothing has the memories of this gun. Next year it will go to my son; & later to his son.

The 16Ga is THE GUN in continental Europe; especially in Germany. Enjoy yours as I do mine!

Offline buckweet

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2006, 05:28:59 PM »
all of us in our neck of the woods grew up with the 16...
my pop's old winchester 370 is a dream to shoot.
we have rem, wingmasters in 16  sweet 16's... and i just ordered a NEF  16.
my old western field  is one great shotgun.

yep. im a 16ga fan all the way.

weet

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2006, 03:51:56 AM »
I was lucky enough to finally find the used 16 gauge barrel for my Pardner through this site and it's truely a "Sweet" 16. I also just read an article in the October issue of "The Maine Sportsman" about the 16 gauge and it is praised as the true and best upland gun, and I agree!!!. I will be headed up north soon to hopefully get some Partridge with it, I will also bring a .410 barrel for added fun....<><.... :)

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2006, 02:41:28 PM »
The old 16 did just fine on that old gobbler and I will have that memory with me forever. He sure got a kick out of that.

I think I'll get it out and shoot a few slugs through it, maybe even take it out and shoot a buck with it. I bet ol' Dad would get a chuckle out of that!  :wink:

Man this thread sure brings back some memories!Reminds me I have an old single shot in gun case that was my dads.Havent shot it in years,although dad used it till about 1995.Now you guys have made me want to get it out and shoot it.Maybe I'll take it for a walk and get a squirrel or two.
 Busta,bet he would get a chuckle out of it.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 12:48:06 PM »
Hmmm...turns out that I have one, too.  I forgot I even had it.  A single shot Riverside that I inherited from my Uncle.  I haven't a clue how old it is, but the bore is still shiney.  Will have to get a Smith to check it out and see how it shoots.  Thanks for joggin' my memory, guys.
cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2006, 11:25:37 AM »
Well went out last weekend with the NEF 16 ga shooting my handloads 19.5 gr IMR HI-SKOR 800 with a remington fig 8 wad, Remington STS primer and 1oz of nickel plated lead shot.  Whithin an hour and a half I had gotten my limt.  The mass crop in my area is very good this year, I'm seeing squirrels in areas I have never seen them before.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2006, 02:28:50 PM »
Well guys, I am sitting here in Millinocket Maine at my buddies house, we just finished fresh breaded and fried partridge breasts as an appitizer to homemade beef stew washed down with a couple of beers, I got the Partridge off Fireroad 17 with my 16 gauge H&R. The area we were hunting is off the "Golden Road" by my buddies waterfront camp on Ambejejus Lake. The 16 is a great gun and as they say, "Maine, the way life should be". It really don't get much better than this!!!....<><.... :)

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2006, 03:06:27 AM »
Guys, the 16 gauge is an ineffective shotgun, it will not cleanly take game and is unsafe to use, send all of your 16s to me and I will insure that they are properly put away so no more game is wounded and no one else gets hurt :).  I too agree the 16 is fine hunting shotgun, I have an old Stevens Model 94 that I use to squirrel hunt with and a Remington 1100 (old model) that I use quite a bit for upland game hunting.  I am currently thinking about getting one of the 870 express models since it has choke tubes, it should be a fine hunting shotgun.  I like the 870 Wingmaster but too nice to take to the woods, I find I baby my 1100 and since I would do the same with the WingMaster, I would be better served by the express. I sure am glad 16 ammo is getting easier to find it was tough for a while.  Fiocchi is also loading 16 and their ammo is top shelf at a middle shelf price.

Offline Flatshooter

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2006, 03:20:27 AM »
My father has a Noble 16ga pump with a 28" barrell and double beads. This is the first shotgun I had the chance to shoot. As i recall everything from pheasants to squirrels dropped from this gun. Now like Busta, my cousin has a Sweet 16 which is a beautiful shotgun, but the darn thing only shoots 2 1/2" rounds.
Aim High & Let It Fly!

Offline Skwerlhunter

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2006, 08:50:24 AM »
          I have the H&R Topper Model 158 also in 16 gauge. I'd like to have a nickel for every squirrel I have taken with that old gun. Hammer spring finally gave way though.

Offline lefty red

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2006, 06:00:55 PM »
I have an old 16ga Topper.  The end of the barrel was crimped in.  I had it chopped out and the choke opened to lightly modify.  Killed many a rabbit and quial with it.  Also good dove gun.

Lefty
I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

I ain't never been lost in my life, been a might confused for a month or so.....

Pilgram, are you sure you know how to skin grizzer bear.....

Don't run little squirrel, you'll only die tired....

Offline wgr

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2006, 06:05:20 AM »
have a winchester mod.97  16  with two matched barrels 1 in full and 1 in modifed  old gun still shoots great  but have retired it  still shoot a 16   in reminton   870 wingmaster great round
never to much gun