Author Topic: Spotting scope gathering dust?  (Read 607 times)

Offline rockymtn eagle

• Trade Count: (0)
Spotting scope gathering dust?
« on: October 09, 2006, 03:45:28 AM »
How often do you really use your spotting scope for hunting/scouting?  I have a good set of bino's so I'm not sure if I need a spotting scope.  I just don't want to drop the $$ on something that'll won't be used often & collect dust.

Offline Ramhunter

Re: Spotting scope gathering dust?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 05:06:35 AM »
Rockymtn eagle,

The answer to your question depends on the type of hunting you do.  For many types of game (deer, antelope, elk, etc) a good quality pair of 10X or even 8X binoculars will stand you in good stead in most situations.  However, if you are sheep hunting and have to judge trophy quality or age a sheep at a distance of a half mile or perhaps much more, a spotting scope is absolutely necessary (unless you're fond of long futile hikes and mountain climbing).  In the case of some game, like mountain goat, the difference between a so - so trophy and a great trophy in only an inch or two in horn length; impossible to judge without a good spotting scope. 

On the other side of the coin however, if you are hunting these or similar species, you will often have a guide who is well equipped with a spotting scope.  In any event a spotting scope if a nice item to have at the rifle range when trying to spot holes in the black at 200 - 300 yards.

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 07:05:34 AM »
Here in East Tn. the majority of our shots are well under 200 yards. Add to that I prefer to stalk hunt. For me a good pair of 8X or 10X binos fill the bill. My spotting scope only gets used on the range.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline VTDW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/vtdw336/great_outdoors.html
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 02:35:38 AM »
I have a nice LandMark that is only used on the range for sighting in and shooting for groups proving loads.  Over the period of a year I spend more time at the range than hunting.  The spotting scope has a valuable place in my collection of shooting paraphenalia. ;)
www.marlinowners.com
How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/

Offline jrhen

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 06:06:35 PM »
Mine has made it to hunting and fishing camp to look at birds, stars etc...mostly I use it at the range.  In hindisght I really don't know why I bought it other than I thought I needed one.  If you get one drop the cash on a really good extra heavy duty tri-pod or you will wind like me with a $40 one collecting dust in the garage.
Be kind to animals.... cook them properly.

Offline JD11

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 07:29:47 AM »
To me, it depends on the country and terrain.  I included my scope the second, and third time I scouted for big bucks, then again included it on opening day and it was worth it's weight in gold.  I had my high dollar Pentax binos, but for extreme distance, there were herds of deer with maybe five bucks and the scope was real handy for comparing racks in different herds.