Author Topic: Buffalo Classic loads  (Read 525 times)

Offline 1000 yard stare

• Trade Count: (0)
Buffalo Classic loads
« on: October 19, 2006, 04:45:54 PM »
Black powder or Smokeless for Long range?Where a good source for reloading 45-70? thanks for your help.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Buffalo Classic loads
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 04:55:49 PM »
Online sources for loading data can be found in the FAQ and Help, there are several powder mfr links in there, they all show smokeless data. Blackpowder loads are basically a case full of powder then compressed with a wad tween bullet and powder. There's a link to Junior Doughty's web site on the blackpowder Handi in the FAQ also. The Hodgdon Annual at Walmart for $7 has lots of load data for the .45-70 in all 3 loading levels. If you want to buy a good manual, the Lyman 48th is a good one to start with. There's also the caliber specific Loadbook that has data from every bullet and powder mfr available, all in one spiral bound booklet for $7 from Midway or $8 at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 1000 yard stare

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 05:01:53 PM »
Thanks ill pick one up

Offline John Boy

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 01:43:57 PM »
1000 Yard:  If your interest is Black Powder, go to the Shiloh Rifle forum and do a search on 45-70 ... http://shilohrifle.com/forums/index.php
Regards
John Boy

Offline glshop20

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 02:27:55 PM »
I load mine with smokeless.  I just prefer it, less mess and the brass needs less cleaning and lasts alot longer.  For my  Buf. Classic I use the same load I use in my trapdoor.  It is a light load and fun to shoot I only go 300yds. with it.  I use 28 grs. of acc-5744 and a Berry copper plated 350 gr. buttet.  The bullet is a little light  compared to many 45-70 loads but shoot well without excess recoil.   I will in the near future work up a hunting load with a little heavier bullet at a greater velocity.  From what I have read the H&R action is not quite up to the strength of a Ruger #1 so it is probably a good idea to keep the pressures about the same as foe a arlin lever.  The Buf Classic is a blast to shoot.  So folks just don't appreciate a heavy slow moving bullet.  I love the thwack it makes when it hits a target.