Author Topic: Saw a cut down NEF shotgun today with custom stock - Post pics of yours!  (Read 3129 times)

Offline Ridge Runner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Saw a 12 guage NEF shotgun that had been cut down to 18.25 inches and had four holes drilled into the top of the stock to hold shotgun shells.

The previous owner had also drilled four holes into the side of the stock so that he could insert his finger and "pop" the shells out of the top. He also cut out two semi circular notche on the top so he could grap the rims of the shells with his fingers.

It looked like a really neat set up. I would have bought it, but it was rusted and scratched up all to hell.

Has anyone else here done something like this? Post Pics?

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
Re: Saw a cut down NEF shotgun today with custom stock - Post pics of yours!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 02:23:07 PM »
yeah, i'd be interested in pics too, as i'm getting ready to do just that. i ordered a replacement stock from Numrich for my little .410 and plan to drill a few holes for extra shells. guess there aint to many "new"  ideas left ! i have cut 4 inches off the barrel and cleaned it up and the stock is next.
glenn

Offline tim45680

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 05:00:30 PM »
Would love to see pics from Gunstocks Inc if anyone has any.

Offline SHOOTER 72

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 02:30:24 PM »
i took a buttstock from a 20 gauge once and i cut out the inside portion , skeletonized it i guess is a good way to put it . i then used the stock bolt hole to use as my spare cartride holder . i also shortened the barrel and reshaped the forend . it took a lot of work but it was pretty nice when it was all done . of corse its long gone now and i do not have a picture to share . i got the idea from a gun magazine at the time .

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 03:04:32 PM »
Would love to see pics from Gunstocks Inc if anyone has any.

There are some GunstocksInc stocks in the "let's see some Handis" sticky in the NEF/H&R Centerfire forum.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 11:25:08 AM »
Here is a picture of a interesting little toy that I found on the net years ago. Have wanted to make one myself, just have not gotten around to it yet. Have a couple 20 gauges, just not the walnut stocks.

Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline kid_couteau

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 11:51:42 AM »
Here is mine:

12 gauge
19 inch barrel
Survivor stock

Shot this at 100 yards today with slugs and was impressed

Later
Kid

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 12:56:43 PM »
mt3030, is that cut down that far still legal ? .. how do you shoot it , can you still shoulder it ?
 it sure is an interesting little gun, lol , .. must kick like hell too ..
glenn

Offline mt3030

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 01:58:04 PM »
Scibaer:

Have you ever seen one of the Kimber Kampers sold in the mid '70s? They were an imported 20 gauge with a 18.5 in barrel with just enough stock to make the 26.5 inch overall length. Same principle here. Cut the barrel to 18.5, and leave enough stock to be legel. The Kimbers had a warning right on their syn stocks: "Do not fire from shoulder." First time my wife fired mine I forgot to warn her not hold it against her hip. (Big damn bruise!!) Yes they do kick. But they are designed to hold out in front of and give it he....heck. During recoil the stock should never touch your body. They are the fastest thing going out the truck window. (Of course, only when you are off road, because we all know it is illegal to discharge a firesarm from, across or alongside a public thoroughfare.) Here in Montana a lot of rabbits, snakes and other assorted varmints have fallen to these "Ultra Shorties".
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 02:11:41 PM »
mt3030,
 well thats all new to me, very interesting indeed. the more i learn about firearms the more i love 'em !.. i guess a person so inclined, could make such a gun, in .410 ?..less kick too, maybe shoulder-able wiht a recoil pad ? ..  yeah id never shoot any firearm in an illegal manner, but having the ability to might be nice ( if one's back were aginst the wall, so to speak)..  thanks for the reply
cheers, glenn

Offline mt3030

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 02:50:13 PM »
Schibaer:
Yes in deed, a .410 would make a great one. Especially if it was one of the .410s that you can fire 45 LCs in. Now, there is an idea. Start with one of the NEF Survivors, replace those plastic stocks (just because I prefer wood and it is pretty hard to shorten those butt stocks), and start cutting it down to "just" legal. Also, I have found those pistol grip shotgun stocks to be less then comfortable when fired. Holding the shotgun by the regular stock wrist is much easier.
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 01:36:06 AM »
i hear that, i wont own a plastic stocked gun.. its wood or nothing for me.. when cutting down the barrel, where do you measure from for length? from end to end or from where the chamber ends ? and, if you measure for total length does that get measured from barrel end to end of stock with or without recoil pad ?
 i dont expect b.a.t.f type answers but im looking for an idea of where to cut and measure, i prolly wont try for "just" long enough, more like with an inch or two, to be safe..ya know ?
cheers, glenn

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 01:45:18 AM »
Barrel must be atleast 18"(I'd go 18 1/2" just to be sure) and overall length nuts be at least 26". You can get a 22"barrel from the factory with a mod choKe. That's what I have on my truck gun and I love it.Carries just right for a walk in the woods.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 06:00:21 AM »
well thats what i was looking for. thats 1 more piece of the puzzle in place. does that overall lenght of 26 inches include any recoil pad or is that at the stocks end ?
i did read that the way the AFT measures the barrels is to slide a rod down the barrel to its stop at the breach. i understand that to mean that the measurment includes the chamber area. but does the ( required by me at least) required recoil pad count as part of the stock, i cant find any info addressing this subject.
1.5 inches is a small matter to end up going to a US prison for..
cheers

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 01:25:26 PM »
mt3030.. question, will cutting down the barrel on a 12 gauge increase or reduce the recoil ? i know that the sound will be louder, when i cut down my .410 it was way louder but theres next to no recoil involved there.. i picked up a J.Stevens 12 gauge, single shot , and it looks like im gonna make an camp/pack gun outta it, like the you made up.. so what the recoil like ?
glenn

Offline mt3030

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 05:45:52 PM »
I did not notice any recoil increase, but because it is lighter, there must of been some increase. Single shot 12 gauges are just by nature kickers. If not ready for that, go with a 20 gauge. When at the range I wear muffs, so noise is not noticed. In the field, I don't seem to notice it either. But again, the shorter barrel has to bark more. Just not enough to bother me.
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2006, 04:28:37 AM »
recoils not a problem really.. i shoot a 35whelen without any problems.  did you worry about effecting the accuracy of the barrel when cutting it down ?.. can you use slugs,, no. 7's or no. 4's ok.. what actaully effects the barrels accuracy ( setting aside the shooters abilities )..
cheers