Author Topic: 2 ¼” smoothbore (warning: lots of pictures)  (Read 1555 times)

Offline John N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
2 ¼” smoothbore (warning: lots of pictures)
« on: October 21, 2006, 07:17:35 AM »
Here’s an interesting cannon I just purchased over at GunsAmerica. It has a 2.25” bore, a 26” long barrel made of seamless steel tubing, and is aircraft wielded by a CNC machinist in Indiana. Its lanyard fired and has a superb elevation adjustment. The carriage is made of 3” thick poplar and the large wheels are oak. It features some unique trunnion caps and nice axles.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976785485.htm

I received the cannon this past Wednesday, 8 days after I mailed off the check. The builder, Carl Gierke, built a custom made crate to ship it in. Nevertheless UPS managed to drop and tip it over a few times, and a 2x4 placed over the carriage base to hold the cannon down in the crate caused the base to split. I e-mailed Carl and the next day he sent off a replacement base. Meanwhile I glued the split base back together along with a piece reinforcing plywood and tried it out a few times this morning. I’m still smiling. Here are some pictures.

I’ll probably end up modifying the carriage at some point. If I can find a 2” thick oak board and cut it 5.25” wide, I’ll replace the current base and mount the oak board flush with the bottom of the two side pieces. I think this will give it a more traditional look. I’ll have to do something to keep the elevation screw base pivot as low as possible.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: 2 ¼” smoothbore (warning: lots of pictures)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 08:12:41 AM »
John you been a bit quiet of late. Interesting gun. What does it shoot?

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 09:32:36 AM »
If it is 2.250 ID, PowderKeg already has the formulas for his machinery worked out for a mould... he did one for me that works nice in my 2.250 mortar barrel. A 2# Do-iT sinker mouldl works well too, but is a big looser than what I had PowderKeg do for me.

The one and only cannon worm that Dixie Gun Works sells is the right size too.

If you need swabs (you do need swabs) there is a thread several pages back that I posted for making some that size rather easily and cheaply.... probably abou $25 in materials for a set of 3, and under 2 hours time to make three. If you can't fine it, lemme know and I'll see if I can find it for you.

That's a heavy duty lookin piece you got there. What kind of charge did you use for the picture?

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 10:44:41 AM »
Hey John,

Nice gun!! I had seen this one on Guns America a few weeks back also caught my eye. the only problem was where to keep It... Thats one of the problems of City living... Hope you have fun with it... Well for now I'll settle for micros till I retire and move out to the burbs...

Ed

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 11:30:53 AM »
El Cazador, a 2+ incher in your sub basement would be cool :-)

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 01:15:16 PM »
Hey Rickk,
That would be cool!! but Crazey.... ;D

Ed

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 02:22:58 PM »
Awesome photo of the blast., I bet it had a nice report !!!
Kind of a modernized parrot?  Nice looking cannon for sure.
I been doing trunnion caps like that for years..., they work great.

El Cazador after getting on the ear mufflers ya better  open the windows in the basement before you let that one fly.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 03:01:06 PM »
Tropico thats the the problem, the sub-basement is two stories underground... No window!! Just huge air handlers for exhaust...

Ed

Offline John N

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 03:14:56 PM »
That action picture is just a blank load of 1100 grains of Cannon Grade (two film canisters worth) in foil wrap. Tomorrow I'm going to try some 2.20" wood balls. I found a set of snooker balls (2 1/8" diameter) online for a reasonable price and may try some of those. One of these days I'll get into casting and make some real projectiles.

DD - It's true I've been kinda quiet lately but I've been been following the goings on here on a near daily basis. I recently acquired another 2.25 bore cannon, a 2/3rd scale Model 1841 6 pounder from Missouri Cannon Works which I'll do a report on in the near future, and I've been busy peppering the trees in my woods with my golf ball cannons.

Here's another picture of this cannon showing maximum degree of elevation. A naval howitzer?

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 03:45:51 PM »
FYI, at that angle (45 degrees) 150 grains of cannon grade throws a 2# ball out of my mortar about 100 yards. It does not have a sub-chamber, so charges a bit less than that I have issues with erratic ignition.

I did some computer simulations and found that, within reason, range at high angles (45 degrees) is pretty much independent of everything but muzzle velocity.

So, if my 2# balls go 100 yards with 150 grains, your snooker balls are gunna leave faster and go "way further".

I did fire a concrete filled piece of muffer pipe, weighing about 1#, and with the same 150 grains charge it went "way further".... guessing a couple hundred yards based on time to impact (I heard it touch down eventually). It sorta scared me how long it took before it "re-entered the earth's atmosphere" (it is 1.0 miles between my house and the next house in the direction of fire, but who nows what is wandering out in the woods where I can't see).

Also, my mortar barrel is only 10 inches long. Longer means possible more muzzle velocity. Yours is longer.

Good luck, start small,  and may the force be with you :-)

Offline mac_hunter

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 03:53:26 AM »
John,
Is the 2/3 scale Model 1841 six pounder that you got from Missouri Cannon Works the same one that is pictured on their website under their price list page? I noticed that was a recent addition to their list. Are you satisfied with the customer service recieved from them? Reason being is that Missouri Cannon Works is in the process of making my full scale 12 pound Confederate Mortar (4.62" Bore=4.52" Ball). They have been very good to me getting my order in and answering all my questions from 7000 miles away while I'm in South Korea. Haven't made a progress check with them recently to see how things are coming along however, I will be back in Missouri for 30 days of leave in November and their shop is only about 45 minutes from where I was stationed and where I will be on leave. I'm thinking about dropping by to check out their operation and the progress of my Mortar. Who knows, they might have it far enough along that I might get a chance to hear her go off for the first time. I can't wait until I'm done with South Korea in May 2007 and get back to the States.
If Pro is the opposite of Con, what is the opposite of Progress?

Congress!

Offline John N

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 09:23:21 AM »
Here’s a picture taken a couple of hours ago. I shot some wood balls using 2 ounce charges, but their light weight didn’t offer very much resistance and the shots were similar to blank loads.

Mac Hunter,

Things must be pretty interesting in South Korea these days. Hopefully the world can keep a lid on that nutcase to your north.

I had a pretty good experience with Missouri Cannon Works. I waited about 3 months for my 2/3rd scale Model 1841, but John sent me frequent e-mail updates and pictures of the cannon being built. My 1841 is very substantial (over 500 lbs) and authentic looking. Bore is 2.30” so it shoots 2.25” pool balls with a vengeance. The only thing I don’t like is that the vent hole is not angled and is at the very rear of the breech face which makes picking the foil bag a little tricky. Good luck on your full scale mortar. I’m sure you’re going to like it. Here’s a shot of the 1841 along side some other toys:

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 06:13:00 PM »
John,

Do we have your cannons pictured in the Albums?