Author Topic: Goin Huntin!!  (Read 1220 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Goin Huntin!!
« on: October 14, 2006, 12:09:14 PM »
Headed to the hills of western Washington yesterday, checked out Weyerhauser timber land to see if they were going to open their gates to hunters this year, they are, so I'll be deer hunting for at least a few days this season, next Tuesday and the following Saturday for sure.

Checked the zero on my .25-06 Ultra, .30-30 and .35Rem Handis, they're good to go!! The .25-06 put 2 rounds of 117gr Hornady BTSPs into the same hole, it was hard to tell they were both there without a closeup view after walking to the target, they were that close!! Didn't shoot the 3rd round, didn't want to waste ammo and ruin that little group!! :-[  My huntin partner was real impressed with it, his Browning Medallion .270 doesn't shoot that good!!

He also shot is new .223 Ultra that I talked him into buying, after a little scope adjusting and just 20 rounds down range, he was able to put 4 rounds inside an inch with the Win WB 45gr JHP ammo. Of course I had already done a chamber and bore polish, but he was very happy, to say the least.

The .35Rem put three 200gr BTB FPGCs in an inch, the .30-30 did the same with 150gr Core-lokts. Will be hunting with the wood stocked 35Rem if it's dry, the syn stocked .30-30 if it's rainy, and the .25-06 will be along just in case a long shot is offered on a clear cut.

Also sighted my son's .30-06 Win 670 in with 150gr Fusions, they shot real good, but I also made some handloads for him with H4831SC and 180gr Accubonds, it puts 3 of those inside a half inch.

I'm excited, didn't get to hunt last year, so this will be fun just getting out!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Goin Huntin!!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 12:18:45 PM »
Best of luck to you buddy, you deserve a great big old mossy horn to stand up in front of you and one of those great shooting Handis. Be sure to let us know how everything goes....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Dave Allen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 12:27:49 PM »
good luck tim...i'm with ya i need to get out... between work-reloading-load testing-work-home projects-work..i think i'll start on the coyote's this weekend till feb or march...it does a guy good to go tromp around a bit !! hopefully you guy's will have fun...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 12:30:32 PM »
Thanks!! But I'll be happy with a spike or forky, them big ones are hard to drag out, the little ones easier are good eatin, too!! :D

Tim

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 12:40:47 PM »
Must be nice ,  ;D  some of us have to beg to get a day off to just shoot  :o

good luck  ;)
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 02:00:36 PM »
Hello Tim , Good luck, Hope some  "back strap' Nothing like back strap and eggs
 for breahfast. And thanks for the E-mail about the Handi's. Iowe you one now.
 Take care have fun out in the woods. Marv.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 03:28:52 PM »

Good Luck Tim

I hope you have a good season this year...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 04:50:05 PM »
Best of luck to you Tim. I am going out duck hunting Tuesday and might make it out for antlerless seaon monday. Time to put some venison in the freezer.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 05:22:57 PM »
GOOD LUCK !!!

Our "rifle" season is still about a month away!!!  This coming wednesday will find me up to my arse in mudd shootin' at ducks!!! Its ALOT of fun though!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline tanoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 03:04:15 AM »
Good luck to you Quick our season starts Nov. 18 I had my knee surgery three weeks ago and am doing pretty good  i hope to make it this season. Never got the chance to sight in my new Rem 750 so it looks like the peep sighted 45/70 handi rifle will get use this year. Later Tanoose

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 04:49:02 AM »
Good luck, Quick and have a great time!

Your success with the .25-06 just about has me convinced that I need to have one.

EVOC ONE

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 10:39:53 AM »
Best of luck. Kill a big one! Or two!

EVOC: I have also had great luck with the 25-06 Ultra. Most accurate of all I've owned. And drops antelope and mule deer like lightening.

Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2006, 11:39:45 AM »
Good luck on your season Quick you will have lets us know if you are take any game with one of your handi. Thats some good shooting with the 25-06

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2006, 12:52:53 PM »
Sounds like you are ready,that 25-06 makes me want one!Good luck quick.tanoose,hope that knee does good for you.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 12:47:13 AM »
Mt3030: Ah, Yes.  I do remember reading that you have written about your pleasure with the .25-06.  That does it!  The .25-06 has just moved to the top of the must have list.  LOL.

Thanks for the info.

EVOC ONE

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 01:16:09 PM »
Well, the area we were told was open, wasn't!! >:( Fortunately, we stopped at the Weyerhauser Landfill office and asked, were told the area was only open on the weekend. :( The decision to stop and ask may have saved us a $1200 fine if we were caught on their closed lands!! :o They told us an area that was open, so we headed there, found very few areas that were huntable, too overgrown, but we did make a couple hunts, but saw nothing. Going again this Saturday to the area we wanted to go to today, there's lots better hunting there since it's closed to the public all year except during hunting season. Carried the .35Rem Handi, will do the same Saturday, unless it rains, then the syn stocked .30-30 gets to go!! :D

Tim

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 03:48:53 PM »
Good on ya Tim.

As you know, I'm new to this Northwest WA area, but I have been told by a neighbor where I might be able to go, as well as by somebody who anwered my plea on the "Find a Hunting Buddy" forum... but in spite of all that I doubt I'll actually manage to get out in the woods this year. But if I do - and rain or shine, it will be my 357Max with laminated straight stock and Williams aperture sight that comes along.

Have a great time and enjoy the venison.

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 01:27:46 AM »
I am a little late on this post (kids sports and remodeling, hunting)  I wish you luck Tim and have a fun hunt.

John

Offline Dan97526

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2006, 04:18:05 AM »
Luck, Quick!  What are you hunting up there in Wash, blacktails?

Dan

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 05:08:53 AM »
Thanks everyone, blacktails would be the game!!

Tim

Offline cheatermk3

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 09:58:12 AM »
Good luck Tim

The weatherman says sun!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 10:13:04 AM »
Thanks Mike, we were hoping for rain, but at least it's been raining good and it's not tinder dry out there as it has been too many times during the regular seasons in the past!!

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2006, 11:05:40 AM »
No rain, it was foggy until noon, we hunted until 2pm, 3 clear cuts, saw some does, but no bucks.  Hunting in a cloak of fog is kinda cool, but when you can only see 50yds, it's a bit disorienting as far as maintaining course without constant compass checks. No one got lost, although my huntin pardner did end up off course and on a different road, fortunately he made it back an hour late without ever making it to his goal on the other end of the clear cut, but he saw some deer, just no bucks.

Next trip this week maybe if it rains, if not, next Saturday back to the same area, with the rut nearing, all those does should lure in some bucks out of hiding.....we hope!!

Tim

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2006, 12:39:40 PM »
Glad your back safely Quick. You have been seeing does so it's only a matter of time that buck appears in front of you. Keep on having fun in the woods, thats one of the things hunting is about anyway....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2006, 02:51:50 PM »
Maybe you will get that buck next time out. What Handi did you carry with you this trip? How big does them blacktail get? Still got about 25 days before I can carry my Handi out on opening day I can"t wait. Good Luck

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2006, 03:52:03 PM »
Thanks!! .35 Rem Handi is what I'm packing this year unless it rains, will pack the .30-30 with syn stock if it rains. Blacktail bucks aren't real big, 140lbs hanging at the locker is a nice one, biggest I've ever got was 169lbs in the locker, that's just the meat and bones, no head, hide or lower legs.

Tim

Offline CannonKrazy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2006, 04:35:27 PM »
Season opened Saturday here in the southern zone of Georgia.Seen 10 does Sat evening,rained hard Sunday morning so I couldn't hunt but Sunday evening they were moving everywhere.At 6:05pm Mr.5 point stopped moving.Thought he was a big six point but it was still a good hunt.
Good luck to you on your next outing and have lots of fun.