Author Topic: Looking for a new 9mm  (Read 1086 times)

Offline sdailey5

• Trade Count: (0)
Looking for a new 9mm
« on: October 31, 2006, 09:32:35 AM »
I'm in the market for a new 9mm, never owned a 9 before. I want to spend no more than $400. My landlord is also a gun dealer and says he can get me whatever I want at his cost plus shipping. Now all I need to do is find out what I want. I was looking at the Ruger P series as well as the SA XD's. Are there any others that are worth looking at that I have overlooked?

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Looking for a new 9mm
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 09:36:46 AM »
A used GLOCK 17!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 01:57:33 PM »
Second the glock.  I'm not a big Auto pistol guy.  I've actually got a couple I'll be getting rid of soon.  No 9s though, or I'd offer.  Of all the autos that I've shot, I'd buy a glock in a heartbeat.  They are tough, reliable guns that are simple to operate, kind of like revolvers that way.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 04:31:47 PM »
New Ruger P95 decocker model, less than $400, accurate, and trouble free!

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 06:53:10 AM »
You can get a glock if you want a child who does good in school but you will have to beat every day to try and get the ugly off him   :D :D

I really like the ruger p-series.  Actually saw a used very good condition p89t the other day for 290... most likely be making my way back to that one...
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 07:00:35 AM »
A Glock isn't all that pretty , but a Ruger P-series is just plain ole BUTT ugly and feels like a big block of wood in your hand. I would take a used Glock anyday over a new BUTT ugly P-series. ;D

Offline Coppertop

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 10:19:29 AM »
This is an interesting topic: On Glock handguns forum i have read through and asked questions about some pistols "blowing up". I've been around a couple of smith's that quit shooting or started stove pipeing after about 50 rounds (factory ammo). This does seem to be somewhat attributable to the operator.  I have a Ruger P89 that I tried to get so fouled that it quit. After 200 rounds I gave up. This "butt ugly" gun just seems reliable and sturdy where some of the other brands seem finicky and seem to be more prone to problems.  I am not a fan of autos and do not have massive amounts of experience, this is just what i've seen and been involved with and is just very much my opinion.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 10:34:50 AM »
If you are looking for a reliable firearm in the $400. price range, then look no further than a factory rebuilt Sig. I don’t think you will be sorry for purchasing one, and will appreciate the recommendation if you ever need it when your butt in on the line.

You can buy cheaper, but remember, it only take a few dollars more to go FIRST CLASS.  Take a look at Auctionarms.com and see what you can find.

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 02:41:15 PM »
The Ruger P-Series may be ugly, but I'll bet there is not another new pistol in their price range that you can take out of the box that will be as reliable with no tweaking or fine tuning. Don't have to try different ammo to see what will cycle, either. They all do. I'm sure there will be people who have had a problem, but I have several and have never thought about trading one back off for something else.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline 4MUL8R

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 03:08:31 PM »
Glock 26 subcompact 9mm
Glock 22 midsize 9mm
Glock 17 standard 9mm
Glock 34 tactical 9mm

Check http://glocktalk.com for their classified section.

Check www.gssfonline.com for a great Glock sport shooting organization.

Glock is to 9mm as Remington is to pump shotguns.  You can get anything for them, enjoy customizing them, and trust them.  They are truly fun to have and shoot.  Get a 3rd generation finger-groove frame if you can.

Offline Tom C.

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 01:41:35 AM »
CZ-75. I have a CZ-75 and a stainless SIG 226, both in 9mm. Both are very nice. SIG is probably out of your price range. CZ-75 is very good, and a great bargain.
Tom

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 03:35:05 AM »
You can buy a new Glock any day of the week for $550.00 or one of favorites the Springfield XD for the same money. Both are super reliable and shoot great. I personally like the grip angle on the XD better. As far as Ruger centerfire autos go, they are reliable, but there is no reason to make a gun that bulky or ugly. :D

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 05:12:24 AM »
I own a Glock 22, had an XD40, but I love my  Rugers, P95, P90, P345, GP 100 6" and GP 100 4". Most people that run Ruger auto's down have never shot one. I think Sigs and HK's are UGLY!

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 06:21:52 AM »
I have shot plenty of Rugers, that's how I formed my opinion. I have also shot quite a few Sigs and two or three HK's. You will see many more of these in the hands of highly trained people than Rugers. I love Ruger 22 autos and single actions, and the new centerfire autos are definitly an improvement over the older P-series, but they still aren't up to par with Glocks, Springfields, Sigs, or HK's as far as say running the gun through an IDPA or IPSC match. I will say this, they are reliable.

Offline sdailey5

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 07:36:19 AM »
Thanks for the great info, I'll be looking into your suggestions now that I have more to go on.

Offline jgalar

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2006, 01:56:41 AM »
Another suggestion here for the CZ75 - nobody makes better guns than the czechs.

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2006, 02:50:44 AM »
I would recomend kicking in a little more cash and consider a Browning Hi-Power. They have class, craftsmanship, accuracy and reliability. They're not plastic, cast or ugly.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2006, 04:02:02 AM »
OK, now to ask a basic question:  Looking for a new 9mm - do you have any experience with 9mms or auto pistols at all????????  If not I would go with Flash's suggestion on the Browning High Power - you should be able to find a used one, if you want to start at a basic level, that meets your budget. 

The great things about the Brownings are:  bazzillions have been made and are still in use world-wide; they are plain jane single action autos that dissasemble and reassemble quickly; aftermarket parts are available from all known major parts distributors; and, they fit just about every 5 fingered hand that's out there at the end of a wrist. 

If you want something with a bell and a whistle - get a used Walther P-38 (or P-1) - they are double/single action and have a slide mounted decocker - bell and whistle) and they go for less than $300, so you could stock up on extra mags and leather.    JMHO.  Mikey.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2006, 05:16:17 AM »
Hey Mikey, that's my favorite 9mm too. I didn't mention it because I thought he wanted something besides a single-action. The Hi-Power is an all time classic,that fits most anybodys hand.

Offline sdailey5

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2006, 05:21:10 AM »
To answer the previous question, I do have experience, however I have never owned one of my own. I shoot my roomates Colt 1911 in .45 sometimes and my step father has a pretty decent collection of .45's as well which I have access to. I have only ever shot one 9mm, I think it was a Walther P99. I wanted the 9mm because I thought it would be cheaper to shoot. I have also found the pistols chambered in 9mm cost less than those in .45

Offline sdailey5

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2006, 05:36:30 AM »
OK, I know I was just talking about my so called experience, but could someone please give me a brief rundown on the differences between double and single action, I know how it works on revolvers, but not on autos.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2006, 07:23:56 AM »
You have to cock a single action to fire the first shot, you don't on a double action. Then there's DAO.Glock,Springfield XD somewhere in between. That's the short version. :)

Offline jro45

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2006, 02:57:00 AM »
My Ruger P89 has lasted me for years. I just rebuilt it about 6 months ago. But that the Glock is another great gun. I own two of them.

Offline greener

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2006, 01:57:51 PM »
Put the M&P9 on you "look at" list.  IMO ergonomics and trigger are superior to the XD and Glock.  The adjustable back strap gets it out of the "one size fits all" category.  Disassembly/reassembly is a snap.  Seems to shoot anything I throw at it without any problem.