Author Topic: hunting scrapes  (Read 472 times)

Offline 10_point

• Trade Count: (0)
hunting scrapes
« on: October 26, 2006, 08:17:03 AM »
do any of you all hunt scrapes? I found one today under an over hanging branch in a clearing on a old mineing road on my property. and was wondering if they are worth hunting? this place im talking about has no visable deer traffic so i dont know. If i hunted it what would be the best method? thanks

Offline jhm

Re: hunting scrapes
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 12:05:59 PM »
You may have to spend some time watching that scrape to assertain a place to ambush that deer, I happen to have on right under my deer stand that has been there for about 8 years and I still havent seen the deer at it, being hit at night and I am not going to set up so as to catch him but you may have to try to bait him into coming in with some scents that he cant resist, good luck as it is all part of the game we play with them every fall.  ;)   JIM

Offline joshco84

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 04:26:14 PM »
put a little buck urine on it and they come running.  from everything i have ever seen or heard, hunting a scrape only works really well the first and last week of the rut.
Smells like country, Tastes like rock and roll...... Want to find out more??? www.crosscanadianragweed.com  The all time greatest band ever.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 07:08:22 AM »
Your much better off to find a trail of them, a scraping run.  One scrap that is not acompanied by a major trail or sign is just a place where a buck had a fancy to make a scrape.  May never come back to it again. A scrape run is where the guy frequents, but most likely at night.  Hunt this area during and just before the chase phase of the rut (first week or so in Nov. around here).  He will be coming more by more often to see if any does are hitting them. And of course, look for the big scrapes, big tracks.  Often times there are multiple bucks using the same line.  I have pics from my trail camera where 9 different buck hit the same scrape.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne