Author Topic: Tick repellent ?????  (Read 914 times)

Offline Jack Magnum

• Trade Count: (1)
Tick repellent ?????
« on: November 21, 2009, 02:17:49 PM »
I get very excited when our deer season opens here and although I didn't see anything with horns today I enjoy being outdoors with one exception. TICKS !!!!!!! and more TICKS.  I've tested positive for lyme twice in 10 yrs and don't want further problems. Today, I sprayed a product that contained deet on my clothes and when I got home I had ticks all over me. Does anybody have a good tick repellent they swear by and how do they use it. Thanks , Help me enjoy outdoors again.
                               Jack

Offline singleshot1

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Tick repellent ?????
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 03:22:36 PM »
Try Sawyer Premium, do a search and you will find it at Cabelas or Dicks sporting goods it contains permethrin, the only tick repellent that I know of that works.It comes in a spray or a clothing treatment. GoodLuck!!!

Offline Wynn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 03:55:39 AM »
Permethrin! I go to ACE Hardware and get the 10% concentrate and then dilute it 20 to 1 with water in a spritzer bottle or Hudson sprayer. Hang all your hunting clothes on coat hangars and spray em down. After it dries, you are good for a couple of weeks and a couple of washings. I use the same solution on my dogs and cattle for fleas, ticks, flies, mosquitos, spiders, etc. (I only wish ticks were our only insect problem in Florida.) It is not a repellant. It effects the nervous system in insects and kills them but has no toxic effects on humans once it dries. I read the MSDS sheets on it and it is far safer than DEET once it dries. Great stuff!
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 02:37:17 PM »
Try this link for insight into Permethrin and its lethal tick killing power.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,123353.0.html