Author Topic: Need help identifing  (Read 361 times)

Offline cam69conv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Need help identifing
« on: November 09, 2006, 05:15:20 AM »
Howdy folks. this is a Mississippi Derringer...Yes it has 2 R's in it so I know its not an original Deringer...Its chamberd in .38 special It doesnt show up well in the pics but on the reciever block it has some sort of bird crest on it and above it it has something that looks either like an x or a cross followed by ccc 61.....the c's are all tied together....Actually they kinna look like half moons....Barrel is stamped Made in Germany. The top of the barrel has the Bird crest on it and then the underside has another Bird Crest followd by the serial # 5431...Serial is also on the left side behind the trigger. I would like to identify the gun maker...Ive been to a few gun shops and looked through several gun mags but havnt found a match as of yet...Any help would be appreciated...Im 46 and I remember My dad having it when I was very little so Its at lest as old as me...THANKS

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/cam69conv/derringer3.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/cam69conv/derringer2.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/cam69conv/derringer1.jpg
You want a divorce if I go hunting today??? Well sorry ta see ya go...Was nice knowin ya..Dont let tha door hit ya where tha good lord split ya :D

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Need help identifing
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 04:01:11 PM »
Cool lookin gun.. Don't know nothin' bout it though  ;D
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 02:42:54 AM »
Those deringers were made by a number of companies, most out of business now although I'm sure you could find at least one company that still makes small guns like that.

Yours may be chambered in the 38 Special caliber but, and this is a big but, they really aren't all that safe.  I had one similar to that for a while and got rid of it.  At firest both barrels fired as they should but then one stopped working.  The standard 38 spl wadcutter gave noticeable recoil and the gun was hard to hold on to.  No accuracy to speak of.  They are neat little things but are most likely best found in a safe or on a wall.  If you want a deringer type handgun try one of the older High Standards if you can find one. 

If that gun is as old or older than you are I would think of adding it to a non-working collection and be glad you don't have to depend on it.  JMHO.  Mikey.

Offline cam69conv

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 03:55:17 AM »
hehehehe Yeah Mike out past 20 feet yer pretty much screwed. But it works beautifuly as far as fireing and as far as recoil my daughter can handle it easily loaded with Federal XP's so its not a real kicker. (my 19 yo daughter) . Its pretty much what I call a backup "gut gun", shove it in the gut and pull the trigger! Never had the problem of both barrels firing. Course its not like I take it out shooting either very often.
You want a divorce if I go hunting today??? Well sorry ta see ya go...Was nice knowin ya..Dont let tha door hit ya where tha good lord split ya :D

Offline mykeal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 11:20:48 AM »
How far is it across a poker table, anyway? You don't really need a lot of range capability in that situation - never saw one of these with a scope on it....