Author Topic: 35 Whelen finally back from NEF  (Read 842 times)

Offline HUNTS

• Trade Count: (0)
35 Whelen finally back from NEF
« on: November 08, 2006, 05:59:24 PM »
Well it's been about 6 weeks and UPS delivered back to me my Whelen.  This was the second time back to NEF after purchasing the gun this summer.  In total it has been at NEF for about 9 weeks.

The misfiring problem was the reason for sending back the second time(and the first time).  Not only the factory loads but my full length resized handloads were misfiring about 20% of the time.  I did call NEF several times over the last weeks to ask how things were going.  The receptionist told me that service had given up and sent the gun to the engineers.

The returned paper work states that the receivers were exchanged.  Looks to be the same barrel to me.  I removed one of the scope base screws and the loc tite was on there, so I figure it must be the same one.  The trigger on the newer action is not nearly as light as the one I sent in.  I did ask that they lighten the trigger if the action was replaced.  I don't think the trigger was the cause of the misfire problem as the gun misfired when brand new and right out of the box.

I hope that this time the gun is a-o-k.  I'll try and get out to the range with some of the misfire rounds to see if they go off now.  I don't have time to spend trying to get this rig hunting for this year though.  It's a pity as I wanted it to be my elk gun this year.  I'll continue to carry my Tikka 7-08 for the rest of elk season. With 140 grain TSX it has killed two elk and a buffalo(along with plenty of deer and antelope) so I have confidence in it.  The Whelen will have to wait for next year.  After big game season I'll pursue the Whelen to see if all is well before the warranty expires.

Here's a photo of a 200 grain TSX shot out of the Whelen before I shipped it to NEF.  It was fired into dry newspaper and chronographed at 2700 fps.  It outpenetrated both the 250 grain Speer and the 250 grain Partition.  Should be an excellent elk round.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 35 Whelen finally back from NEF
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 06:45:01 PM »
I sure hope they fixed it for ya, you've been very patient with them so far, it would be a shame if it was for nothing. Sorry to hear they didn't do such a good job on the trigger, I know they won't do anything to em if they're much under 5lbs to begin with, I've sent 2 in that were right at 4lbs and they didn't touch em, but I work em over a little and they're at or just below 3lbs now, you could do the same with not much work and a little help from the trigger job info in the FAQ.

The TSX are something aren't they, I've read so many good kill reports on them that I had to try them, worked up a load with the 225gr in my RMEF 35 Whelen that chronos 2895fps with Rl15, need to go back and fine tune it with a slightly longer COL to see if I can get it a little tighter than 1˝", maybe just a bit more powder, no pressure signs yet, so it's looking good for maybe a little more speed as Fred says they need to be pushed hard for best accuracy.

Good luck with the 7mm-08 elk hunting, I've killed a lot of elk with the 308Win, the 7mm-08 ought to be a great round too. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 03:50:49 AM »
I hope I dont have to send mine back, and replacing the reciever is not an option - I have other barrels fitted to it.

Something is wrong here, too many issues with 35 whelens.  Im wondering if they are at the high side of spec and since the bolt does not hold the cartridge, iit is pushing forward.  You also perked my curiosity since you mentioned RCBS dies.  I too have RCBS dies, and a virgin piece of brass does not seem to push into the chamber too far, but the ones I ran thru the die and loaded do push in beyond flush.  ???  I am going to have to dig into this but unfortunately each trial and error itteration is a trip to a range.  This is when it would be nice to jump out on the back porch and pull the trigger, then go back to the work bench and study the results.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 05:37:19 AM »
Bill, just size the brass, prime it, load it with no powder or bullet, and shoot it in a secluded corner at home, cover the muzzle with a rag or something to cut the noise. Then at least you'll know how well the sizing worked. You'll also see how far forward the hammer strike sinks the case! I used this procedure when preparing for fire forming to improved-improved in my .280 Ultra.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline HUNTS

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 11:41:16 AM »
Decided to give NEF  service call this am.  I asked to talk to Gordon and the receptionist said he would have to call me back.  Big surprise, he never called.

Not having a gauge to measure trigger pull I'll have to guess that it's just under the weight of the gun. Probably around 6 lbs.  If I cock the  gun and hold the gun upside down with one hand while putting my finger under the trigger it takes almost the full weight of the gun before the trigger fires.  Personally, I can't hunt with a gun with a 6 lb trigger. 

I'm going to see what my local shop will give me for it in trade and wash my hands of it.  I'll bring along the Versapack .22/410 youth gun as well to trade.  After 25 rounds the .22 refuses to eject.  I have to spend most of my time scrubbing the chamber just to shoot the bugger.

I really wish that I could report something more positive.  I really like th NEF guns and am jealous of all of you that have good working ones.  The service department experience has made this decision for me. 

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 12:12:08 PM »
you might think about offering them for sale here, a gun store might not give you much knowing the problems you have with the guns but there are many here who would buy them for the small amount the gun store might give you and then correct the problems. I believe they would be saleable here. Perhaps find out what the gunstore will offer you for them, that might help you decide. Even if you just sold them here for what the store offered you plus $5-$10 more in your pocket each gun then both you and a Handiholic brother here would be happy and better off. I would be interested in the .22/410 youth model that refuses to eject and I am sure there is a buyer for your .35 Whelen here as well, I already have a nice 26" .35 Whelen barrel so I would pass on that....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline HUNTS

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 05:23:07 PM »
I already have a buyer for the .22/410.

I'm going to make a few calls and see if I can find a smith who can work the trigger on the Whelen.  I took a look at the FAQ's and I don't have the tools or the confidence to take it on myself.  The problem is that here in Montana we don't see many handi rifles.

If anyone knows someone who can help me out please  let me know.  Thanks.

Offline HUNTS

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 05:40:38 PM »
Almost forgot this.  I took a couple fired cases that still had not been resized yet and had the spent primers in them and put them in the chamber, cocked and fired.

The new receiver and firing pin put a serious impact on the primer.  I had to look closely to make sure that the primer hadn't been pierced by the pin.  It looks ok but a little scary.  Never have seen anything like it before.

I won't be holding the gun up to my face when I try firing live rounds next.  Just to be sure.

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 06:03:25 PM »
Hunts:
I've had several Handi triggers adjusted at Billings Gunsmiths. Rick does an excellant job.

Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline HUNTS

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 06:10:46 AM »
Wally, 

Thanks, I'll call him today.  Much appreciated.

UPDATE:  Drove down to Billings and dropped off the Whelen.  Rick said he can get the pull to 3 lbs, was at just under 6 lbs he said.

Thanks again Wally.

Steve