Author Topic: A.Roads: British light 6 pounder  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
A.Roads: British light 6 pounder
« on: October 30, 2006, 05:28:52 AM »
   On a recent topic, (Dished wheels and axle angle) that unfortunately was misdirected down a ludicrous path, led on by some highly over-stimulated imaginations, you posted a photo of a British 6 pounder field gun that is housed in a museum you're involved with. Does that six pounder have a restored leveling screw that duplicates the screw on the original gun? I.e.; is the top of the screw attached directly to eyes cast on the bottom of the barrel's breech?

John
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline A.Roads

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Re: A.Roads: British light 6 pounder
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 08:59:21 PM »
Hi John,
The barrel, a British pattern 6-pr bronze smooth bore field gun is original, the carriage, limber & all fittings are reproduced. It is all still in the workshops here as we expect to be equipping it with a team of 4 horses (customised fiberglass ones) and correct harness (if anyone knows of the existence of an original set or parts thereof I would be VERY interested) circa 1860.  I wasn't involved with the elevating mechanism, I understand that it was copied from one in the Royal Armouries collection. I do have some drawings of period British elevating gear, not handy as I type this, and presumably one would be for Field Service.

The carriage & limber drawings used were copies of original Royal Carriage Dept plates. Of interest, the U.S. 12-pr S.B. bronze field howitzer (which I think was in the same picture you saw?) had infinitely more detail available, pages of drawings & detail, so that every fitting, chain, ring & even the nails could be, & were, made to original specs -  that one is now fully harnessed to a team of four horses.

In answer to your query, yes the screw head is attached to elevating screw loops integral with the breech. see below...

Adrian

Offline freddo

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 01:33:37 AM »
 Gee! BoomJ it was'nt that difficult to understand :D

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 09:24:41 AM »
Thanks much Adrian, your reply has been a big help. I have to say, I really envy your involvement with this museum. That's a good photo you posted, it retains all it's clarity when enlarged. It allowed me to get a close-up view of the leveling screw and to see in detail the fuse cutter attached to the side of the trail and the wheel chock. Are there two chocks or just the one on this carriage?

In the original photo you posted there are shown two chains, one on each side, that hang down from the front of the axle bed. Do you know what function these chains perform?

I'm assuming that's the trail pole strapped to the top of the trail but there's also what appears to be a rectangular piece of wood under the carriage. What is that?

If it wouldn't be too much bother I would greatly appreciate it if you'd post a photo of the lunette and the drawing of the leveling screw if it's handy.

The only photos I could access on the net were from The Antique Cannon Superstore. They have an 1855 British 6 pounder for sale that they state may have been shipped to America for use in the Civil War. They're asking $59,500.00 for it and they also say the carriage is original, which seems improbable. At any rate, your photo proves the leveling screw isn't original.

John

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 10:04:55 AM »
   I didn't find the topic itself extremely difficult to apprehend, freddo. It was when you began to expound on your arcane theories concerning "TOE-IN" that I became lost at sea or perhaps it would be more appropriate to say lost in space. To use your phrase, "it wasn't that difficult to understand", is a misstatement as far as I'm concerned. The truth of the matter is that I was grateful for the fact that I found it impossible to bring what you said to an understanding.
   I now find myself in a situation where I'm going to have more than a few months time on my hands. I would have liked to post a reply at the time of the original postings but I didn't feel I had the time necessary to devote my full attention to commenting on your profound insights; attention, they so richly deserve.
   I'm going to apologize here in advance for the dark clouds I'm going to attempt to cast over the majestic, geometrical, Epiphany you evidently experienced, concerning the design and operation of the dished wooden wheel. I'll make the post on the original thread.

John

Offline A.Roads

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 06:30:15 PM »
Hi John,
There is only the one wheel chock (wheel brake). Trying to resolve how it went together & attached to the carriage was tricky, our few drawings were all of the other side. Luckily we have the remnants of an original carriage here with the axletree box still retaining its hook. The chains were for dragging the gun forward & various tasks etc, there is a handspike under the trail & I've attached some more pics of these & the trail eye & one of the "Alladins Cave" that is the workshop, taken few months ago.

The Antique Cannon Store Carriage I suspect is mostly original, even though the elevating screw is not theoretically correct for that barrel. I will scan a drawing I have of the correct screw.  Adrian.

Offline A.Roads

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 12:03:20 AM »
Here is the detail of the correct screw, the drawing is British, circa 1860s.  Three threads per inch.
Adrian.

Offline freddo

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 01:18:47 AM »
BoomJ

I apologise if I have offended you by my remark. In your one post on the subject you expressed some difficulty in grasping the basic concept of the tapered box and spindle hence my belief that you did'nt understand the whole discussion.It seems that I was wrong and for that I apologise also.
        You do not need to apologise to me in advance for your imminent demolition of my theories. I am always willing to be corrected and so learn.That is what I consider these forums to be for.
        I note that you have not yet made your post on the origional thread. Both I and ,and I am sure ,the rest of the community  keen benefit from your insight and since your obviously feel strongly about the matter and have time on your hands I am sure you will present your theories soon
         When you  do  present them please do so without sarcasm it is a low form of wit and does you little credit. I await your dissertation  with avid interest

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 06:37:00 AM »
   Thanks again Adrian, Im in your debt. You answered all my questions, posted more fine photos and the drawing of the screw is exactly what I needed. I appreciate you giving me your time.

John