Author Topic: SENSE WITH SCENTS  (Read 433 times)

Offline TIMBERTRAMP

• Trade Count: (0)
SENSE WITH SCENTS
« on: November 03, 2006, 08:45:46 PM »
Has anyone here, had any success with using attracting scents for whitetail,about 10 years ago I would occ. use pickards indian buck lure and had it attact deer a few times but not consistently,this season I tried using come-here deer which only attracted raccoons,I would like to find something that more consistently attacts deer and not something that just works during a certain phase of the rut.since i'm looking for both does and bucks.thanks t-t.

Offline bearfat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • "Nothin but giant rats with stubby little tails"
    • Deer/Bear hunting Northern Minnesota
Re: SENSE WITH SCENTS
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 04:21:01 PM »
I've tried "Tinks 69" and something called "Deer Cocaine". Would have gotten the same result if I had just thrown my money on the ground I think.

I do remember once having a doe come thru and I had forgotten to open up the film canisters with "Tinks 69" in it. She did stop for a second to sniff it but that was the only reaction I positively had that they even smelled it.

I attended a deer seminar once where the guy stated the time you put out your doe in heat scent is September because the 1st doe that goes into heat gets kicked out of the group and she picks an area to stink up I guess. All the rest follow her lead and stand around the same area stinking it up.

So in effect you can set up your own prostitution house and the rest will follow, including the bucks obviously.

But...I keep forgetting to try it in September and it's usually late October when I remember.

Probably the best scent I ever remember using was I threw a dozen apples on ground one morning and smashed them good with my feet into the ground geting the juice all around. Six hours later I did have a doe and fawn stop to check it out. It's illegal to use anything considered as bait anymore where I hunt (Minnesota) so scents and salt blocks are it.

I'm leaving friday for a week deer hunting without any scent. Not wasting my money. I did put a salt block out though last month.
bearfats cabin:    http://buckmountainchateau.com/

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 04:25:41 AM »
I didn't have a chance to try bait this year because I really didn't feel the desire to scare all the deer out of the area in front of my stand before the sun came up, hanging a wick.  It all depends on stand location, you obviously want to stay away from doing anything that will spook the deer by odor or noise.. If it fits with your stand, give it a try - sounds like its pretty 50/50 as far as whether it actually does bring in deer.
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 08:21:19 AM »
I primarily use 3 different types of scents depending on rut phase &/or whether or not I hve a doe permit.  I usually wear a basic deer smell like interdigital on myself when I still-hunt.  This covers up my own scent and may help with the alliusion that I am a deer & not a person.  If I have a doe permt &/or rut is not going on I will put out a criosity lure like (Pete Rickard's) Indian buck lure in scent bombs.  When rut or chase is on I use Tinks #69 scent bombs.  I have observed all these scents & tactics work, but not all the time.