Author Topic: No Handi for Deer this Year  (Read 913 times)

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
No Handi for Deer this Year
« on: November 04, 2006, 04:54:39 PM »
Since the 257 Roberts got accuracy hic ups again I did my deer hunting on Thursday and got 2 WT does and a WT 10point buck with the 25 Hunter.
The 25Hunter has the same ballistics as the 257 Roberts.

It was so cold the battery on the camera went dead. So there are no pictures. Had to sleep in my hunting camp with long johns on. The left over coffee in the cup froze on the table.

So between my friend Dennis and me we got five WT deer on the first day. Dennis got a nice Buck too and a doe. Not too bad for a couple of old fogies. To day is my birth day and I turned 50 for the 27th time. I did not want to stay in my camp for another cold night.

So I spent my day today deboning two deer, stay warm and give away the buck to a friend who did not get one yet.

The two Mule deer does have to wait till it warms up a bit. I also have another tag for a place up north were I will hunt from a tree stand with the #3 Ruger in 375 Winchester. Hope that 375 will not kick me out of the tree stand?

This is going to be the finish of the hunting season where five of us will hunt together, with a party after.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: No Handi for Deer this Year
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 04:59:19 PM »
Congrats Fred and

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 08:08:54 AM »
well done and a belated happy birthday   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 08:38:03 AM »
Sounds like that 25 Hunter did good.What load you shooting in it?A belated happy birthday to ya Fred
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 09:58:10 AM »
Thanks you Guys.

dw06.
You can read about my 25 Hunter.

http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ZERMEL/25deerhunter.html

The load is a full case of H414 @ 3150ft with a 100gr Hornady Interlock SP.
I developed this load with this bullet and never changed it.  Including this years three deer I have taken 27 animals, deer an Antelope all one shot kills, and about 4 misses. It has nearly identical ballistics as the 257 Roberts Handi, both have 24" barrels.

I like to modify the chamber so I could use 243 Brass, but the gun smith ripped me off my two reamers. The chamber would need to be deeper by about 0.217".
This would greatly simplify brass making. Never thought this guy would turn out crooket.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 11:39:41 AM »
Happy Birthday Fred!!!! Sounds as if you had a great hunting trip...I coyote hunted in -27 degrees (F) last year and my wifes record for an outdoor shower at camp using a 5 gallon bladder of hot water (camping shower) is +17 degrees (F), mine record is down around zero but with no wind. when your taking an ouitdoor shower at camp it's not the temperature, it's the wind and wind driven snow and sleet that gets to you. Those here that hunt the warmer climates don't know what they are missing, left over coffee frozen in the cups, sure brings back good memories!!!....<><.... :) :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline 218Bee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 03:30:19 PM »
Happy Birthday, Fred!!

Sounds like your gonna have a full freezer!!

Rick
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 03:56:15 PM »
 Belated Happy birthday, What you need is about 6 or 8 handi's,
 That you can one ready for the hunt. Marv.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 04:59:44 PM »
Datil.
If I was a bit smarter, the 6x47 Handi can easy take a deer.  A good 85gr 6mm bulet would work well in that 1-12" twist. But I never developed a load for this rifle to take deer since I got all kinds of other rifles to choose from.

Besides I think I would be restricted to about 150 yards with this small case.
We hunt deer in open country 200- 300 yards are not uncommon distances to take deer and Antelope. The 25Hunter will take deer without trouble to 300 or more.
The 100gr Hornady Interlock only drops 11.6" at 350yards.

Thanks to all for the best wishes. Hope to hunt for a long time yet.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline aulrich

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 08:02:35 AM »
Happy birthday Fred, and good work on those deer, with any luck i'll have the same sort of Thursday this week.  I am heading down to the Cypress Hills with 4 deer tags this year a buck and doe tag for both Mule and Whitetails, were abouts were you. I too don't have a biggame handi at the moment, so my 270 stevens will have to do though at the moment it shooting really good :) we'll see how those 130 seirra pro-hunters do. Should be less meat damage than my 338wm and 200 nosler bt's.

I have 6 day's booked this year so hopfully I can get my doe tags filled quickly, the only fly in the ointment is what to do with my mulie buck tag. The area I hunt has had two pretty big whitetails on it for a couple of years now a  6 and 7 point I found an impressive 6 point shead last year and the other got seen a number of times last year (by non-hunters).  So I want one of those bucks so I am not sure to just fill my mule buck tag with a meat buck and focus on the big whitetails, or split the time because  it's two years between tags, I probaly make my mind up when I get there and see the status of the rut.

What was the rut like where you were, I been reading reports that it seems to be on the go already?
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 01:11:58 PM »
Aulrich.
We hunt in the Brooks area, on two private farms. My friend and I  are the only two hunters that have permission. Sorry but I don't tell anybody where I hunt, I made that mistake once and the consequeces were not nice.

There were plenty of bucks around and I suppose the rut was in progress. Since it was so aweful cold I toke the first buck that crossed my sights. Otherwise I would have taken a smaller one.  I nearly froze my hands field dressing the deer.

Wow! The Cypress Hills area is great for big deer and Antelope. A big construction company in 1961 arranged a hunt on a private ranch for their employees just north of Sweet Grass.

I was invided by the owner of the company. Out of the eight people there were only two of us that could shoot a rifle and hit an animal. Between the two of us we toke 8 bucks ansd 8 Antelopes.

The boss told his guys to pack up their guns and let Fred and Jake do the shooting it was a gas. I was shooting a custom 7x61S&H. The boss had even a truck come down, with a pipe rack to hang up all the animals. What a sight that truck was.

The truck went home and was taken care of by two Italian butchers that skinned and and cut up the animals, and put each in a big carton. Now that is hunting in style.

This is only a small part of the whole story, the party after with unlimited food and drinks is another.

Now what has all that to do with Handi rifles???

Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 03:38:00 PM »
It's all about the fun that goes along with them Fred ;D....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline aulrich

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 07:27:31 PM »
Don't worry Fred, Good spots should always be well guarded, like the hiden easy walk that gets me into the valley that no one wants to hunt because it's too deep and steep.

And it's go nothing to do with Handis, just fun to swap stories.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 08:56:19 AM »
Well yesterday pm I completed the second stage of this years hunt by getting my two Mule Deer.

The weather was cold again at 15F, but the hunt only lasted 30 minutes after we got into the hunting zone Mule Deer area. I used the "25 Hunter" again making it five deer with five shots.

All deer were taken with my cross sticks standing, this system provides a good support in flat county. The elastic x-support adjust easy for elevation. The x-sticks work best when you can lean against a fence or power pole for a more steady hold.
My sticks are about six feet long and made from 3/4" hardwood dowel stock.

Now I only have one W-Tail tag left for a northern zone, and that will be it for this years deer hunting. Hopefully we get a bit more goose hunting in December.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006, 05:09:51 AM »
Happy Birthday Fred!!!!!!!!!!

McLernon

Offline wcf3030

• Contributor