Author Topic: How picky should I be?  (Read 758 times)

Offline fowler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
How picky should I be?
« on: November 19, 2006, 02:16:57 PM »
I am struggling with how perfect should my bullets really be? I am specifically talking about a 325gr LBT .452 mold LFNGC design with two crimp grooves. I can hold a +/- of about 1 gr all day long from my 331gr average with WW lead. I am adding 1-2% tin and/or 8 inches of silver solder to my 20 lb pot and am really taking my time with these bullets. I hold my ladle to the hole and pour a entire scoop for each holoe letting the extra run back into the pot till the ladle is dry. This is the only way I can get the back of the mold to fill out cleanly. But my concern is that although they are consistant in weight they are also consistant in that the shoulders of the lube grooves and the crimp groove are not as sharp as I think they should be. More over they are not uniform around the bullet and will be cleaner on one side than the other.

Now with my 200gr SWC for the 45apc and my 255gr Keith they seem to be a little crisper but not perfect ether. This is driving me a little nuts, I want perfection in my work but how important is it really? These bullets have shot more accurately for me that the Cast Performance 335 LFNGC bullet I shot the last few years but the I might just be getting better with my gun. I shoot a 45 colt Ruger Bisley and a 45 colt Ruger Bisley Vaquero 5 1/2" and these bullets hold about 4" groups at 50 yards from a sitting position. I know for casual shooting and plinking it will make no difference, heck I odubt it will matter on the target under any circumstances. But my knowing they are not perfect is enough to bother me.

Am I anal or is this all just part of the learning curve. Also I am going to order a new 32 120gr mold here in the next few days so I deffinately like LBT molds and am not bagging on them at all.
Bill

Offline MePlat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: How picky should I be?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 10:42:09 AM »
If you go ten post down Veral touches on the subject of worrying about minutia with cast bullets although the post is concerned with weighing cast bullets.  Just like i answered on sixgunner.com.
If you are good enough with a handgun to tell the difference with small variences in bullets when shooting other than on a bench then yoiu already know the answer.  I have never seen anyone that is and I've seen several handgun shooters that thought they were but alas that was them talking in a gun shop not shooting on the range.
You Know Me.  I Don't Have a Clue

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Lead Bullet Technology
Re: How picky should I be?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 12:35:28 PM »
  Meplat has the right answer.  -- You probably are being far too picky.

Almost anyones  hand cast, sized and lubed bullets will outshoot commercially cast bullets.  Machinery is fast but doesn't have respect for detail like a human does.  So though you are new to casting, common sense tells you where the flaws are and you through them out before you load them, instead of letting them throw their self out of the group!

Veral Smith