Author Topic: Experience with Colt customer service?  (Read 759 times)

Offline NimrodRx

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Experience with Colt customer service?
« on: January 17, 2007, 12:34:59 PM »
I have a Colt Match Target Competition 20" AR-15 chambered in .223 Rem that I can not get to shoot any better than 3 inch 100 yard groups.  This is atypical from any other Colt I have seen.  I've gone through everything - bullets, powders, scope, shooters....  It simply won't shoot.

I'm most likely going to send it back to Colt for inspection/service.  Anybody ever had to do this before?  What kind of turn around time should I suspect?
"Make mine a double. Whether I'm ordering drinks or shotguns, it's always served me well!"  :toast:  :toast:

"It's been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well."  T. Roosevelt

Offline shepherm

Re: Experience with Colt customer service?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 12:53:30 PM »
I am having the same problem >:(. I have a colt Accurized model with the 24" barrel that I took out today and tried some old cheap 55 gr that had a 5in group. I then shot the reloaded Black Hills 68gr HP and it is about 3in groups. I have a 1/9 barrel so I thought the 68s should shoot better then that ???. Does any one have any idea what I should try next? I am not trying to jack your thread but someone maybe someone could help us both.
Thanks
Mark

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 03:19:05 AM »
not to be a smart @$$, but dump the colts and get yourselves a bushmaster or rock river rifle.
   i shot more colts than you can shake a stick at, and i worked on them when i was an assisant to our company armourer- so i have alot of experience with them.   tolerances on the rifles are sloppy, you can see it in certain places,  so just imagine what the tolerances you cant see are.  combine that with the direction colt has taken regarding sale of their guns,  and they just aint what you think they are.  the two bushmasters i bought were heads and shoulders above any colt rifle i ever handled, and they shoot better.  it all boils down to attention to detail and putting them together right.  bushmaster has it down. 
  the only way i would take a colt is to sell it so i could buy a bushmaster or a r.r..   not to slam on colts,  but that is my honest experience with  them.    sell the colts and use the money to get a well built rifle. 

Offline Myron_Holley

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 01:31:49 AM »
 ;D  Yep thats a fact

Offline shepherm

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 04:33:17 AM »
You may be right about Colts being overpriced but, I did get mine shoot good with factory ammo. I found that one of my scope mounts were loose  :-[. I used the BH 68gr. HP and it seemed to like them. This was at 100 yds on a bipod with a 3x9 Nikon scope. I think with some hand loads and a little trigger work I could make it a little better but this is pretty good for a all factory rifle. 

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 07:22:12 AM »
and if that were a picture of a group fired by my bushmaster varminter with a 3x9 nikon off of a rest,  you would see a picture of a 277 diameter hole.    my heavy barrel car will shoot groups like the one you posted with iron sights at 100 yards.     i aint trying one-ups-men-ship here, just saying that there is a difference between the two makes.    i am glad you got your rifle to perform to your liking.  honestly,  it isnt a bad group at all. 

Offline shepherm

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 08:07:29 AM »

you would see a picture of a 277 diameter hole. 
so you have .053 inch 3 shot groups? Thats hard to believe since that would be good as alot of benchrest guns.
By the way how much did you pay for your bushmaster?

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 08:46:31 AM »
i paid 800 bucks for the varminter,  and about 850 for the heavy barreled car. 

the varminter is the way to go if you want tiny little groups.  it shot great,  but to really ring it out i tailor made some ammo for that rifle specifically and played with different powders and bullet types.  the best combination i found was with benchmark powder,  winchester brass, a fmj 55 grain bullet, and cci magnum primers.   it was a mid range loading, neither fast or slow, right in the middle.   

i find that most rifles will shoot way better than the people shooting them can; sometimes you have to tweek this or that,  other times you need to play with bullet type, weight,  or make.  powders and primer type also can make or break you.   sometimes,  the gun is hopeless.   
  i will also add that i am not out there pounding hundreds or rounds downrange.  i shoot the rifle a few times,  clean and cool it,  shoot it a few more times, clean and cool.  that particular rifle will outshoot any bolt gun i have ever shot, it is a truely amazing rifle.  all reports from other bushmaster varminter owners lead me to believe mine is not a fluke.   will it do it round after round, day in day out?  i dont know,  i dont shoot that rifle that way.  i can tell you that i can take it off the rack, fire a three shot group that is one hole at 100 yards. 
   i also had a ruger 10/22 that you could put three rounds into a dime at 50 yards straight from the factory, with nothing more done to it than putting a weaver fine crosshair scope on it.   maybe i am just lucky,  or maybe i can shoot; perhaps a little of both.  but i have had some turds come my way also.   you buy enough guns i figure sooner or later you will find a few exceptional ones.