Author Topic: Barrel Weight  (Read 486 times)

Offline Roudy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Barrel Weight
« on: November 08, 2006, 12:24:01 PM »
I recently read an article about a new Ruger Mini-14 Target rifle and noted that Ruger is putting a barrel weight on their rifle...like Browning did several years ago.  Since I reload I normally will fine tune the load to the rifle so I haven't paid much attention to this process in the last several years.

However....I got an H&R 22 Magnum this year so far have tried two brands of ammunition, CCI MaxiMags and Remington Ballistic Tip.  The CCI's seem to have a little better accuracy than the Remingtons in my rifle, but I think the balistic tips may provide a little better down range performance......I'm getting long winded here.

My question is, "Has anyone tried to make a barrel weight for their Handi-Rifle, and did you notice any significant performance improvement?"

Roudy

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Barrel Weight
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 01:14:50 PM »
Limbsaver already did, they call it a De-resonator!! I call it poor man's barrel tuner or BOSS!! ;) Mac tried one on his Wby bolt rifle, with not other changes, it cut his groups in half from 1½" to ¾"  with factory .270 ammo. I have one, have tried it on a couple rifles, but it didn't improve them, but they were both shooting MOA to begin with. I think if you've tried everything else, there may be a place for them, I can certainly say I've spent more money and got less in return on other "accessories". ;) They cost about $12-$15.

Tim

http://limbsaver.com/limbsaver/firearms/barrelderes.aspx
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Roudy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 05:57:28 PM »
Tim,

Thanks for the information.  The price certainly seems reasonable and worthy of a try.  What secures the Limbsaver to the barrel? 

Roudy

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 06:51:22 PM »
The hole in it is about ½", it's made of similar material to their recoil pads, very compliant, a little WD40 and it stretches and slides right on, requires more WD40 to remove it or move it, stays put very well without any lubricant, in fact it's near impossible to make it slide without lubing it.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain