Author Topic: 28 gauge barrel issues  (Read 507 times)

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
28 gauge barrel issues
« on: November 08, 2006, 03:29:35 PM »
well, this may be a dumb question but here it goes ..  i have a sb1 reciever that i want to put a 28 gauge barrel on. i was looking on the NEF site and noticed that they have a 28 in the pardner model ( full size ) thats a 26 inch barrel, and a 28gauge for the youth model thats 22 inches. now, whats the difference, meaning can i put either barrel on my sb1 reciever ?.. if the recievers are the same between the youth and full size ? i understand that the stocks are different, but are the barrels or can this be done.. ?  i think i'd want the shorter 22inch barrel wiht the mod choke over the longer 26 incher..if it will fit up,
cheers, glenn

Offline Critter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: 28 gauge barrel issues
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 11:43:42 PM »
Either one will fit.  I have thought about sending my 28 ga back in and having the shorter barrel fitted.  I probably won't but it's always something I think about.

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 09:16:57 AM »
ah :-[ its turns out that my reciever is a 1973 production unit, so they wont fit it up, as i understand it.. so i'll have to work around that snag first.
but thanks for the reply.  in all honesty i want get a new barrel and forend and stock for this reciever and go in another direction all together..
cheers, glenn

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 10:20:43 AM »
They won't fit any barrels to frames made before 1987, unfortunately. :( That would be a serial number prefix of NB or HB.

Tim

http://hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx

Additional barrels may be added to firearms of our manufacture since 1987 only, with a serial number that begins with N or H.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 11:04:27 AM »
can any decent gunsmith fit the barrel ? maybe using the outline in the FAQ's as a guide ?  will NEF sell just the barrel ? or should i make that purchase from Numricks ?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 11:48:46 AM »
I don't know how much difference there is in the old frames and newer barrels, they might fit just fine, or they may need a lot of fitting. With current production frames and barrels, you're more likely to have a close fit than when the parts were made years apart.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 12:57:55 PM »
its starting to sound like i have a nice case hardened reciever.. and nothing to put on it, lol , nice :'(