Author Topic: Ohio beagle or fiest breeders  (Read 804 times)

Offline Star1pup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Ohio beagle or fiest breeders
« on: November 11, 2006, 01:21:22 PM »
I klnow this is a dog topic, but I thought one of my fellow Buckeyes might know of someone who might have puppies.  I'm either looking for a rabbit hound that is a gun dog and not a field trial dog or possibly a fiest for squirrels.  I want a pup so I can house break him/her while training to hunt.

Offline victorcharlie

Re: Ohio beagle or fiest breeders
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 03:21:06 AM »
An successful field trial dog that ran under AKC SPO (small pack option) rules are gun dogs bread to run cotton tails.  A.H.R.A and UKC hounds are also good gun dogs.

On the other hand, AKC hounds that compete under brace rules are to slow for most hunters.  The brace hounds are what give the field trials a bad name for hunting and because of such poor hunting ability the modern gun dog movement was born.  This isn't to say that you can't get a bad registered gun dog bread hound because you can, just like you can buy a bad used or new car.  Quite honestly you'll go through several hounds in order to get a good one, and the great ones are fewer and much harder to get.

Hound ability is genetic.  There's a little training but for the most part they either have it or they don't.

If you want a good hound I suggest you learn a little about the hounds blood line, which is something you can't do without registration unless you have bread the blood for at least the closest 3 generations.

If you know what makes a good hound you'll probably be ok.  If you don't I suggest you get with one of your local beagle clubs.

I was going to suggest a few breaders, but they only bread those inferior field trial hounds that seldom loose rabbits and can run the same rabbit for hours with a loss.

Again, just like any thing else, if you don't know what your looking for, be it a used car or a hound, then there is always a chance someone will sell you what you don't want.

Everyone expects to buy a field champion for $25 dollars.............

I hope you find one.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 06:48:24 AM »
I once had one of the brace hounds and I almost had to shave twice before he brought the rabbit around.  Although he never lost the trail.   But you are right that you need to know the bloodlines whether AKC pedigree or just a local rabbit hunter.  I've tried to log onto the ARHA website, but it will just not open for me.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 01:03:00 AM »
Have a look at these:

http://ubgf.org/

and specifically Ohio, a list of all beagle clubs, AKC, UKC, and AHRA:

http://www.beaglesunlimited.net/ftclubs_oh.htm
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 03:56:28 AM »
I got to go on a mountain cur squirrel hunt at Highlandtown yesterday and had a ball.  I think I'll have a mountain cur pup soon. :)  I'm looking at 2 litters, one in Indiana and one in WV.