Author Topic: sights on 45-70  (Read 843 times)

Offline fortress49

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
sights on 45-70
« on: November 13, 2006, 06:15:40 AM »
Hello,

I have a "regular" 45-70 barrel, not the Buffalo Classic model.  I would like to put some type of sights on it.  Currently it has a scope but I want to try some type of open sight or peep sight.  I have read the FAQ section but I still have a few questions if you would bear with me.

1)  Will the sights that are used on the Buffalo Classic model work on the "regular" 45-70 barrel?  If so, what height should the front sight be?

2)  Is there a fiber optic front sight that can be used with the Williams reciever sight?  Which style, model etc?

3)  Will the fiber optic sights used on the muzzle loader work on the 45-70 barrel?  Can they be purchased form H&R?  Any comments on this set-up would be appreciated.  If these will not work, is there any fiber optic sight that will work on the handi rifle?  The muzzle loader rear sight is not mounted on the reciever and that would be OK, but I think it would be better if mounted on the reciever.  Do you think it could be mounted on the reciever?

I would like any of these to be "no-gunsmithing" required if possible, but if not, I am willing to go that route as well.

Thanks for your help,

Matt

PS  I have just today purchased a set of maple stocks from Gun Stocks Inc, that I am going to put on this rifle.  I am getting the normal factory style stock with straight comb and pistol grip.  For the fore-end, I sent them a Buffalo Classic fore-end to copy.  The Buffalo Classic fore-end is a bit longer than the normal fore ends and I like the look a little bit better.  Hopefully, after mine, they will then have the dimensions for the Buffalo Classic fore-end and then anyone could order one of those from this company.

I ordered the maple as it should have a bit more figure to the wood than the walnut.  But, I would like the wood to be somewhat dark like walnut.  Does anyone have suggestions on stains and finishes that might look nice?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: sights on 45-70
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 06:29:42 AM »
I think all those questions cept the Huntsman ML question are answered in the Peep and Firesights link in the FAQ and Help.

Tim

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,64605.0.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 11:48:22 PM »
One that is not mentioned there is the "One Ragged Hole" sight.  I have one on my 45-70 and like it a lot.  IIRC, it only fits the old style rear sight.  www.oneraggedhole.com

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Joel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 02:36:54 AM »
I ordered one of their standard stocks with pistol grip and the schnabel forend a couple of years ago and modified them to suit me. The rifle itself is a 45/70 that at that time was already 13 years old. I dyed the stocks with Fiebling's leather dyes; a mixture of medium brown and oxblood.  Being a knifemaker who makes his own sheaths, I have this sort of stuff laying around.  The dyes are available from Tandy's or one of the knifemaker supply catalogs.  If you use them make sure you get the regular dyes and not the oil ones.  Test it on the inside of the forend barrel channel until you get what you lilke.  Make sure you let it dry for about 15 minutes to make sure it's the proper shade.  Also keep in mind that all wood oxidizes(darkens) as time goes by, so what might look a bit light when first applied will darken over the years.  The stocks were then finished in Watco's Teak Oil and waxed with Minwax.

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 03:33:09 AM »
Thats some really nice grain in that wood!  ...reminiscent of some fine English double rifles/shotguns I've seen.

Would it be possible for you to post some closer pics of it in another thread, please??
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline fortress49

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 03:58:46 AM »
Thanks for the info. 

Joel, your stock set looks fantastic!  If mine turn out half that nice I will be happy!

Matt