Author Topic: Any suggestions on a 45LC or 454?  (Read 821 times)

Offline hardertr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Any suggestions on a 45LC or 454?
« on: November 28, 2006, 08:48:18 AM »
I made the "mistake" of stopping by Academy the other day, and found a Taurus Thunderbolt (45LC) for one HECK of a deal....I think the box was mis-marked  :o

Now, I'm looking for a revolver to go with it.  I'm looking for something in either 45LC or 454 (so I can shoot the 45) with adjustable sights.  The primary use would be hunting, with casual shooting a close second.

I've only had to spend over $500 on ONE gun in my entire collection (my AR-180) and don't expect to ever do it again.  Any suggestions??

I like Taurus, and probably wouldn't turn away from a good deal on a Blackhawk.  What else would be worth looking at??  The only reason I mention adjustable sights is for hunting.  I'd like to be able to take 50-75 yard shots if I had to.

Thanks in advance.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline Ak.Hiker

• Contributor
Re: Any suggestions on a 45LC or 454?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 07:18:02 PM »
You can not go wrong with the 45 Colt Blackhawk. I have had 2 of them. The blued 4 5/8 inch barrel is a great packing gun at 36 ounces. For hunting look at the 5.5 inch or the 7.5 inch. You can shoot any thing from cowboy loads all the way up to hunting loads from Buffalo Bore, Cor Bon or Double Tap. I really like the 300 grain Cor Bon as a woods load in mine. Its loaded with a 300 grain Sierra bullet at 1300. I think it gets about 1150 out of the shorter 4 5/8 in barrel. The Blackhawk is a great gun for the money.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 10:31:08 PM »
thats the answer!
You can not go wrong with the 45 Colt Blackhawk. I have had 2 of them. The blued 4 5/8 inch barrel is a great packing gun at 36 ounces. For hunting look at the 5.5 inch or the 7.5 inch. You can shoot any thing from cowboy loads all the way up to hunting loads from Buffalo Bore, Cor Bon or Double Tap. I really like the 300 grain Cor Bon as a woods load in mine. Its loaded with a 300 grain Sierra bullet at 1300. I think it gets about 1150 out of the shorter 4 5/8 in barrel. The Blackhawk is a great gun for the money.
blue lives matter

Offline EastKY_DO

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 03:05:47 PM »
The Blackhawk is a great way to go.  If you don't mind spending just a little extra dough, you can get the Blackhawk with and extra cylinder for shooting .45 ACP loads from the same gun.  You'll have to re-adjust the sights for different loads, but hey, that why they're adjustable.  Locally the .45 ACP is about half the price of .45 Colt loads, or better.  Makes for a great plinker when so loaded.

Best regards . . .
Doc
Doc

NRA Benefactor

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 03:50:04 PM »
I found a New Blackhawk at a pawn shop, and couldn't pass it up.  It didn't come with the extra cylinder.  I wish I could find a the 45acp cylinder locally so I can see if it will work in this pistol.

Thanks for all the input!  I knew you guys would steer me in the right direction.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline Tom C.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 03:31:53 AM »
Call Ruger. A .45 ACP cylinder can be fitted by the factory. In stainless they cost me $60, as I recall. Blued is a little less. I have several stainless Blackhawks in .45 Colt with .45 ACP cylinders. I play with inexpensive .45 ACP mil ball.
Tom