Author Topic: Current 44 Mag. Barrel Specs?  (Read 532 times)

Offline Uncle Ji

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • ILLEGITIMUS NON CARBORUNDUM EST
    • Hawaiian Style
Current 44 Mag. Barrel Specs?
« on: November 16, 2006, 06:59:20 AM »
What is the bore diameter and twist rate of the most current 44 mag barrels for the Handi?  THANKS>

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Current 44 Mag. Barrel Specs?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 07:26:18 AM »
It has been 1:38" and most bores have been reported as very overzize, but maybe that's changing, Bajabill just got one, his slugged at .430", but he never reported the twist rate. H&R is offering the Handi in .444Marlin again next year, we can always hope that they change it and the .44Mag to 1:20" like everyone else uses. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Uncle Ji

• Avid Poster
    • Hawaiian Style
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 09:03:35 AM »
Thanks Tim, I just noticed that post from BajaBill, I was hoping .429 but .430 is better than .432.   I have a whole bunch of cast lead loads I received from an out-of-business indoor range that I want to burn up, I already have my 1984 Marlin, and model 44Taurus Revolver but any excuse to buy another barrel.  I'd also like to know what twist BajaBill's new barrel is, hopefully 1 in 20.

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 11:50:24 AM »
still no twist data to offer  >:(

but, it shot very well.  I got about a 2 inch group at 50 yards, twice.  Most or all of the problem was a dry contact lens/eye from being in the wind all weekend hunting and with open sites, that matters  ;) 

Offline Uncle Ji

• Avid Poster
    • Hawaiian Style
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 12:08:19 PM »
still no twist data to offer  >:(

but, it shot very well.  I got about a 2 inch group at 50 yards, twice.  Most or all of the problem was a dry contact lens/eye from being in the wind all weekend hunting and with open sites, that matters  ;) 

Hi Bill, were you shooting jacketed or cast bullets?  Your results sound promising.  Next time you have a tight patch down the bore could you please check the rifling twist for us?  THANKS!