Author Topic: Question on leaving pistols loaded  (Read 1051 times)

Offline steveb3006

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Reload'n And Levergun'n
Question on leaving pistols loaded
« on: October 25, 2006, 04:23:08 PM »
Does anyone leave a cap and ball  pistol loaded and ready to go for days on end? Also when packing one out and about in the woods and such is the caps prone to come off or do they stay on good? Thanks in advance.....Steve.
Its a helluva thing killin a man,you take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have
                                        ***CLINT EASTWOOD***

www.reloadingandlevergunning.blogspot.com

Offline timothy

• Contributor
Re: Question on leaving pistols loaded
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 12:17:30 AM »
I always load mine after cleaning and they fire weeks+ later with no problem. In fact didnt Robert E Lee's fire after 20 years or something? As far as caps go they should stay on if they're the right size and if not only the one in line with the recess will fall off.

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 11:44:39 AM »
I have left a Colt Army .44 loaded for two years. It fired fine, all five cylinders, full power.
Moisture laden air cannot get past the ball, and it cannot get past the cap. I don't see why you couldn't leave one loaded for ten years.
I don't have a problem with caps falling off.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline lefty red

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 09:29:48 AM »
I left a Remington Old Navy (not Army), in 36cal loaded and in my shed for "variments" adn forgot about it.  Guess I hid it too well.  It was protected from rain and weather, but not temperature.  All five shots went off quickly and no lulls.  Used 3f, Wonder Wad, and round ball.

LEFTY
I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

I ain't never been lost in my life, been a might confused for a month or so.....

Pilgram, are you sure you know how to skin grizzer bear.....

Don't run little squirrel, you'll only die tired....

Offline Echo4Lima

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 06:35:32 PM »
Gotta put this in

The most famous owner of a Colt 1851 Navy .36 was Wild Bill.  He reloaded his pistols EVERY morning do to worry adout "night air" moisture.  Sound like practise to me!  Fun too!!

Remember that 75yd shot/kill he had?  Seems it wasnt REALLY that big of a marksmanship thing...the Navy .36 was zero'ed at 75yds from the factory!  Not saying that it wasnt one hell of a shot though!!