Author Topic: Do you care whether you can shoot well?  (Read 1600 times)

Offline papajohn428

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Do you care whether you can shoot well?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2006, 03:33:42 PM »
I've always cared, because I was the one paying for the ammo, and missing is just a waste.  Then I got into LE and it was my bacon on the line, so I cared more.  Enough to start testing ammo and studying marksmanship.  I took up reloading so I could shoot more, and for a few years I was shooting 40,000 rounds a year.  The more I shot, the better I got, especially once I started competing.  These days, I work alone 36 hours out of 40, so there is NO backup 90% of the time, and it's STILL my bacon.  I practice a lot, practice hard, and will use any trick I can find to shoot better.  No, it's not all serious, I have a lot of fun with it.  But the purpose behind it will never change.  I'm down to shooting about 20,000 rounds a year, but I enjoy it as much as I ever did, and I'm teaching more newbies than I ever have.  They may outshoot me, but I still give them a run for their money!  And being the dinosaur that I am, I still love my revolvers!  I keep a 12-shot auto on hand at the house, but when I want to HIT something at any distance, I grab a revolver!

Only Hits Count!

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Connecticut Yankee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2006, 04:15:14 PM »
      I to am  55 years old also and don't shoot as well as I did as a kid. I have a 14 year old son that has always looked up to Dad and his shooting , as I did with my Dad by the way.  My son has been shooting on my clubs smallbore team for the last 6 months. Just this evening they had practice and he had a really nice target. He was proud of his target and had to come right over and show me. His comment was, "I bet I could beat you now dad". The fact is he is right.  Now I'm proud of him to be sure, but time does march on.  I can still hit birds over our English Setters pretty well though. When it comes to shooting game, you have to be a good shot, but instinct and experience still has a lot to do with it.
     John M.     A Connecticut Yankee

Offline simplicity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2006, 12:37:08 PM »
I'm very serious about my shooting but when I go out with my AR and 22's I'm a little bit of both. but for handgun practice I set clay pigeons up at 100 yards and shoot them off hand with my 500smith

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2006, 07:59:52 AM »
The eyes are the problem, but occasionally I still do have a good day!  I have to remember not to read on a day that I want to shoot well.  I find after I have been reading for a while (Yes, working at the computer is the same thing), I have trouble seeing well.  Did this one a couple of weeks ago while check sights for a belt gun while I deer hunted.  Like I said before, you still don't want to stand in front of the muzzle!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!