Author Topic: 5.7x28 ????  (Read 830 times)

Offline strut64

• Trade Count: (0)
5.7x28 ????
« on: November 14, 2006, 04:10:42 AM »
Yesterday at the range I found a bunch of spent brass that I hve never seen before.  These were unusual.  I assume they are from a handgun and I am not involved in such stuff but these intrigue me.   Short 22 caliber, bottle necked, marked 5.7x28, centerfire, and these appear to be boxer primed even though they may be of foreign origin.  I can't read they rest of the headstamp easily because it is so indistinct. 

Offline Questor

Re: 5.7x28 ????
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 05:45:20 AM »
I had the same question when I first found one at the range. It's a relatively new development by FN and it's used in a Glock-like auto with adjustable sights. The velocity is over 2000fps. It's intended for police and defense use but seems like it could be great for target shooting and some hunting applications. I think it's really cool. One of the great things about it is that it is very powerful as a defense cartridge, but has very little recoil. It is also very accurate.
Safety first

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 11:39:28 AM »
YUP!
I have one and it has it purpose though not in an urban S/D. Too much range.
It packs NO whallop though it will penetrate well.
I like too shoot it. It is fun.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 02:13:08 PM »
That sounds like an interesting round, got any more info on it??  Any picts or diagrams??

What guns are currently chambered for it??

Greeenriver
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline Questor

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 04:11:53 PM »
Go to google and enter
fn 5.7x28
That'll give you a good start.
Safety first

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 10:19:13 PM »
Like questor, FN is the onliest one I know of.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 04:26:45 AM »
  FN makes a hnadgun and a carbine chambered for this little cartridge.  I don't think it'll last long unless other manufacturers pick it up or unless some more ammo manufactueres get some loads out for it. 
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline Pixsurguy

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 09:33:11 AM »
OK - I'm ignorant and am about to prove it.   :-)
Looks like this is just more in the velocity vs. size debate.

When I first heard about this handgun answer to the .223 mouse gun rifle, I thought it was typical of the European approach to police weaponry.  Now that Jeff Cooper has passed away, I'd guess that he's rolling in his grave and laughing at such a silly little cartridge.

Forever the Europeans have relied on underpowered guns that have always lacked fast stopping power, regardless of ultimate lethality.   They have carried .32 autos, .380 autos, and most now seem to have opted for the 9mm.    None of those rounds have a good reputation as an instant stopper.

I suspect that this new mouse gun at 2000 fps will be absolutely deadly if it has sufficiently robust bullets to get the penetration it needs, but I don't see it as a reliable one shot stopper.    I've got a .220 Swift and even if the hunting laws allowed it, I'd not be likely to use it on deer or larger game.   Yes, modern tough bullets might make the difference, but why take the chance?   

On the other hand, as long as we are not talking about self-defense, I'd bet it would be a fun gun/cartridge combo.   

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 12:24:57 PM »
Well, now.
the west was won using other than a .45--lots of thirty two's, thirty cal weapons were carried by folks. The 44 and 45 were along in our history -- the .45 was late in military history and  WWII saw a lot of 30 cal rifles.
The FN, with some ammunition not available to most, has pretty good armor penetration.
Now, with that said it is NOT a superb self defense weapon--mainly because of range and penetration.
I would like to be able to have a place where there was ample varmit population though. That would be fun.
It is more fun than a 22 at the range.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 06:38:36 AM »
It looks to me to basically be equivalent to the 22 WRM round but is centerfire.  While I don't see much use for it for my defensive purposes, if Marlin or someone would make a light, handy bolt action rifle, it might have some possibilities as a pest/varmint round.  I love the 22 magnum but if I could get that performance for half the price (reloads) that would be all the better.  We'll see

Offline Pixsurguy

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 10:04:59 AM »
Found the following on another forum:

"Miscellaneous Questions: "Q. How effective is the P90 'submachinegun' used on Stargate?
A. Despite all the manufacturer's hype and Hollywood glitz it is not as effective as they want you to believe. Weighing about 6.5 pounds with a loaded 50 rd magazine, it was originally designed as a 'personal defense weapon' for rear echelon troops and vehicle crew members that would be easier to to shoot effectively than a handgun.
The SS190 ball penetrates between 11 and 13.5 inches of gelatin, but the wound resulting from this projectile is a relatively small. The permanent cavity at its largest is either a .22 cal hole or simply a . 22 caliber flat slit the length of the projectile (2.1 cm) caused by the projectile tumbling. Although the 5.7 x 28 mm SS190 round penetrates soft body armor, its wound trauma incapacitation potential is at best like a .22 LR or .22 Magnum. Even 9mm NATO FMJ makes a larger wound--and I'm sure you know of the awe inspiring incapacitation potential of M882 FMJ 9 mm ball from the M9. While it's stated 'effective' range is listed as 200 meters this is pushing things a bit. While it can deliver a severe wound at that range, even up close it lacks the 'stopping' ability of most regular pistol rounds.

The 'civilian' 40 gr softpoint 5.7 mm rounds may be a bit more effective in creating a permanent cavity but penetration would be reduced. I haven't seen any tests of this round, but they too will reportedly penetrate some body armor.
The P90 is also available in a non-fully automatic civilian version with a 16' barrel as opposed to the 10' military version. The 16' barrel gives about 140 f/s greater velocity with the SS197 ammunition. Below is a table of currently available ammunition. Only the now discontinued SS196 and SS197 variants are available on the civilian market.
SS190SS191SS193 SubsonicSS195LFSS196SRS"

Offline Pixsurguy

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 10:24:27 AM »
Well, now.
the west was won using other than a .45--lots of thirty two's, thirty cal weapons were carried by folks. The 44 and 45 were along in our history -- the .45 was late in military history and  WWII saw a lot of 30 cal rifles.
The FN, with some ammunition not available to most, has pretty good armor penetration.

True - there were lots of weapons used in the old West that were poor stoppers, such as the .32s and .38s.   I'm not at all sure that they "won" the West or anything else.   Oh yeah, they sure killed a lot of people, eventually.

As i commented above, my thought  (hardly original w/ me, of course) is that lethality is not important in a gunfight.  What IS important is stopping the other guy and rendering him unable to harm ME.   That he ultimately dies of the wounds I inflicted does not help me if he is hit and still shoots me.

There's a reason that our military has finally gotten smart(er) and figured out that the 9mm is NOT the cartridge of choice.   The lessons of Iraq are clear.  The 9mm is not a stopper.  Gee, what a surprise!   And now FN wants everybody to adopt something even punier?????

It is pretty clear to me that touting a cartridge that is no better than a .22 WRM (out of a rifle, no less) as a "personal defense weapon" is absurd. 

Again however, it is probably a fun toy to play with at the range or in a varmint situation.