Author Topic: 2.25" Bronze Mountain Rifle - My Christmas Cannon  (Read 2080 times)

Offline CrufflerSteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
2.25" Bronze Mountain Rifle - My Christmas Cannon
« on: December 19, 2005, 02:35:10 PM »
Since all I ever get is socks and such for Christmas I bought a repro Confederate 2.25" Bronze Mountain Rifle with carriage. The Chapman sights should be on the way. Here's a couple of links to full size pictures.
http://www.crufflersteve.net/mr01.jpg
http://www.crufflersteve.net/mr02.jpg
I got it from Steve Cameron of Rutledge Tennessee. He sells some stuff in the Artilleryman. It's done very authentically with liner having the original rifling of 1 in 10', 3 groove, if you can call it that, saw tooth rifling.

Steve made two of these. Supposedly, you can see the twin of this recoiling off screen in the History Channel show. My copy of that is in the mail. He's spent a lot of time developing rounds on the other one so I got some of the lead Minie balls he shoots.

Here's some stats on the barrel. He used the Antique Ordnance measurements of the West Point barrel. He cast two barrels and sent them to the same place as Steen to have them bored out.  He bought a rifled liner from Ken Kurdt (same supplier as Steen) and had a machine shop  insert the liner.  The liner is 1/2" thick.  It was epoxied in place with a stainless steel vent and 3 bronze bey bolts to hold it in place.  The tube was then turned and polished.  It does look great. There's a few machining marks, especially by the trunnions but noting serious.

I hope the weather warms up so I can take it out. My biggest problem now is getting a trailer hitch on my car. (And then buying a trailer.) Never order from trailerhitches.com. My car needs an adapter for one. I ordered from them in November. They sent the elctronics and said they sent it all. Its now gone to my credit card company but i can't tow anything.

Steve

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
2.25" Bronze Mountain Rifle - My Chris
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 03:09:19 PM »
ANOTHER gee-whiz cannon!

I want, I want, ....
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 03:19:31 PM »
CrufflerSteve., You...HURT my feelings.  (Tell us the length of the barrel and breech diameter)

Offline CrufflerSteve

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 04:02:05 PM »
Quote from: Tropico
CrufflerSteve., You...HURT my feelings.  (Tell us the length of the barrel and breech diameter)

The bore is a bit over 40" long. Its 45 1/4" from the muzzle to the end of the cascabel. Its pretty narrow at the muzzle. The walls are only about 5/8". At the breech it has swollen to about 5 3/4". I haven't measured it exactly.

I wanted something light enough to tow behind a smaller car. I like the full size ordnance but when the carriage weighs a ton you're in trouble if you don't have a big truck. It would have either been this or a Mountain Howitzer. To me, this is cooler.

The barrel is 192 pounds and the carriage is about 350 pounds so its not hard to move.

It shot several rounds. Steve Cameron sent along a close repro of an original that he's going to try. It had an overall length of 4 1/2" including a bolt on sabot copper base to engage the rifling. He's using zinc for the body of this to lighten it and trying cast brass for the sabot and is going to start experimenting soon.

Steve

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 04:11:34 PM »
Its a fine lookin' piece ta be sure ! My big guns are ordinance rifles as well (Mine are not Full Scale either) I chose them for there length to weight ratio as well .,not to mention accuracy. Good Show man! :gun4:

Offline CrufflerSteve

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 04:20:07 PM »
Quote from: Tropico
Its a fine lookin' piece ta be sure ! My big guns are ordinance rifles as well (Mine are not Full Scale either) I chose them for there length to weight ratio as well .,not to mention accuracy. Good Show man! :gun4:

This is a full scale. There was a real need for light weight field pieces. That's where the Mountain howitzer came from. This was a Confederate attempt at a light weight rifled cannon.

After the Civil War, as rifling was better understood, there were cannon like the Hotchkiss 1.65" Mountain Gun. I think that's late 1870's so it might have come along in time to benefit from Geenhill.

Steve

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 04:37:00 PM »
Very nice looking gun Steve. I'd like so see some closeups of the ammo if you get a chance. Make sure you post some Smok and Fyre Picts :-D

Later
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 05:57:24 PM »
CrufflerSteve,
    nice looking gun. I think I seen it's brother at Camp Grayling. Was pretty in the bright sunlight.
    Work up to a powder charge. We found lighter charges in our full size small rifle were more accurate. Now to train a crew.

Offline CrufflerSteve

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 06:06:47 PM »
Quote from: guardsgunner
CrufflerSteve,
    nice looking gun. I think I seen it's brother at Camp Grayling. Was pretty in the bright sunlight.
    Work up to a powder charge. We found lighter charges in our full size small rifle were more accurate. Now to train a crew.

Its twin was there. The thin skirt short range Minies use a light load. The long range heavy skirt ones take a heavy charge to obturate.

Don't worry Powder, I will take pictures when its going to the range. That won't be for awhile. I might be asking you about custom molds.
I'll have pictures of the rounds. Don't worry, they will be next to a Goex can. I managed the few I took today before the batteries went dead in my camera.

Steve

Offline John N

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 04:36:46 AM »
I wonder if this is the twin? I took this picture at Camp Grayling this year.

Offline gary michie

• Avid Poster
    • michigun3.com
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 06:14:55 PM »
HI; :D
  Welcome to the BIG BOYS.
  I was wondering Steve If you made the carriage or if it is one of the South America carriaqges I've been hearing about.
  gary
Gary

Offline CrufflerSteve

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 07:28:31 PM »
Quote from: John N
I wonder if this is the twin? I took this picture at Camp Grayling this year.

That's the twin of mine.

As you can see the crew does not feel constrained to follow Civil War garb. Let's hear it for rugged individualists.

The carriage was made in US. Its white oak. Most of the carriage metal comes from Matt Switlik.

I'm happy.

Steve

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: 2.25" Bronze Mountain Rifle - My Christmas Cannon
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 10:59:17 PM »
BTT

Offline GAWI

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 06:53:00 PM »
Does matt have e-mail address? Gary

Offline Cannonsight

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 03:14:26 AM »
See Museum & Collector Specialties under the "Where to find" section.
Chapman & Sons-Artillery Sights