Author Topic: Lead hardness question  (Read 541 times)

Offline hunter280man

• Trade Count: (0)
Lead hardness question
« on: July 20, 2003, 05:35:27 PM »
Hi guys;  just droped in with a hopefully easy question.....

I'm looking into buying some lead for muzzleloader bullets and I feel the pure lead is a smidge too soft.    I found some 2% alloy but am unsure just what the brinnel is on it.   I'm hopeing for 40-1 or so...What do you fellas think?    Anyone have a idea on hardness of 2%?   Or if you think it will work?
Thanks  Mark
The older I get the better I was!

Offline Underclocked

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Lead hardness question
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2003, 05:53:09 PM »
hunter280man, you might check the total price on this stuff at http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,239.html

I'm pretty sure Ed Mehlig bought some from them so he could probably give you an opinion.

I know, it doesn't answer your question but maybe you had missed this as a source.  :)
WHUT?

Offline hunter280man

Lead hardness question
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2003, 06:11:50 PM »
Oh Youuu Seeee!    Thanks...I have that one locked in just in case I go that route....I really need lead wire or I still am casting and then swageing.

I just wish I had a sample to put to my tester to know what it is.

How in the he!! do you hit all these forums all the time!   :shock:  You must have at least 3 screens going at once.  Thanks budddy! :wink:
The older I get the better I was!

Offline edmehlig

Lead hardness question
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 04:19:57 PM »
Hunterman, UC is right I did buy some 40:1 lead from Buffallo Arms.  I forget how much I paid to have 20lbs of 30:1 lead shipped from Midway, but the shipping charges from B.Arms was almost as the lead itself.  OUCH.  Other than that, the lead worked great.  The only thing I did was to raise the temp on my Lee Pro 20 to 8, let it cook for about 45 minutes, flux about every 15 minutes and I produced great looking bullets.  I know T-Bolt also uses and likes 40:1 lead as well.

Now if I could only find a place local or another place that ships it cheaper.

Ed

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Lead hardness question
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2003, 11:25:27 PM »
I have cast balls as hard as wheelweight and they shot fine.
blue lives matter