Author Topic: Is this common with the Handi's?  (Read 675 times)

Offline rascals

• Trade Count: (0)
Is this common with the Handi's?
« on: November 21, 2006, 03:10:33 PM »
Recently purchased a lightly used handi in 243 with bull bbl. I have been trying, without much success to work up a good load. It would shoot a decent group every once in awhile,but always fliers high and low. almost perfectly vertical. almost all loads tried would string vertically.Then I started to get case head separation every couple of shots.Thats when I noticed the the barrel to breech fit has become sloppy.The gun was tight when i bought it,and i have only shot about 150 rounds through it. Nothing remotely hot as far as loads go.I have read the bbl fitting and repair mod's in the FAQ's section and  now know why its stringing vertically. Is this a common problem with these guns?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Is this common with the Handi's?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 03:31:24 PM »
Unfortunately, yes, it happens occasionally. I recommend contacting H&R and ask them to fix it for you, you'll probably end up with a new barrel. You may be able to talk them into covering shipping, too. Althought I don't know this for fact, I've never had one get loose like that, but I suspect either a bad fit to begin with, the underlug had a burr or some such. It can also be fixed with the shim method if you're handy with such things, but I'd talk with H&R first, give em a call at the toll free number in the FAQ.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rascals

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 04:25:34 PM »
Tim thanks for the reply,will contact H&R and see what they say.

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 05:07:00 PM »

rascals welcome to GBO forums, Let us know what H&R / NEF says, to yor Call.
 Marv.