Author Topic: odd question...  (Read 775 times)

Offline 870 expressmag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
odd question...
« on: November 26, 2006, 04:54:56 AM »
this year for some reason we have seen way more bucks than does....this is the first time this has happened.....so heres my question...now that i have both of my buck tags filled..i would like to fill my doe tag.....how do i attract does??  i know this is the completely opposite question of what most people ask!

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: odd question...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 05:11:15 AM »
Open a shopping mall!  ;) Just kidding.  Years ago in Illinois, when they were actually trying to protect does, I got an antlered deer only tag and had 17 does and button bucks go under my stand and nary a buck.  The next year everyone got any deer permits and I think that year and for about 6 years after all I saw and shot were bucks.  All kidding aside what does are looking for is food.  Set up in or along the trail to a good food source.
RJ

Offline †·ĦÙŃŦÈŔ·†

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 06:55:02 AM »
Try a curiosity attractant - something like Team Fitzgerald VK All Game Attractant.... Shot my first doe using it ...

Offline joshco84

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 02:10:11 PM »
sit along side of a field with a tree row around the sides of it, and sit where you have a good shot at corner/corners.  usually does will be on about any field offering any type of food, be it wheat field, hay field or feed field.  also hunt a water source with a lot of tracks around it.  hunt the fields early morning and evening times.  also in the morning stay out for quite a while (or until you get too hungry, thats always my case) or until noon if you can, does dont take to the cover as much as bucks and will a lot of times stay out quite a bit later in the morning and come out earlier in the evening.  i have never had to "hunt" for does, its just point and shoot.  but kansas has a huge deer population so its not a problem for us to find the does, its those sneaky bucks that get us. 
Smells like country, Tastes like rock and roll...... Want to find out more??? www.crosscanadianragweed.com  The all time greatest band ever.

Offline 870 expressmag

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 04:04:38 PM »
well until this year i have never had a problem seeing does either....but once again..i am not complaining due to all the bucks we got!   ;D

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 01:55:56 AM »
Perhaps a fawn beat?

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 01:00:10 PM »
Vanilla extract may help.  It is cheap, easy to use/apply, scents up quick and strong then dies off over time as the alcohol evaporates, and does tend to like it better than bucks, but both will investigate.  Its sweetness is the attractant.

Offline kyote

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 03:50:11 PM »
Rebal is on the right track...
when out calling coyotes I have some jackrabbit calls that sound similar to a fawn bleat..it will bring the does in and keep them there.you wil not need a lot of volume.as loud will scare them..If I remember correctly,they do make fawn distress calls..
my huntin rifle is safe from confiscation only while my battle rifle protects it.

Offline Two Bears

• Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 06:58:09 AM »
Use a doe bleet in the can they will come and have a look see

Set up on a food source and hunt the evening
HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING 2 GOOD MEN