Author Topic: Is this normal??  (Read 605 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Is this normal??
« on: November 26, 2006, 03:58:17 AM »
Here are pics of both sides of the slug that killed my FIRST deer.  Is it normal for the slug to be punched out in the middle.  This slug went through the spine and logged between the ribs and skin.

These are 20ga Remington Slugger High Velocity 1/2 oz.  Should I be using the standard Sluggers at 5/8 oz?

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Buckmaster 30-30

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Is this normal??
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 04:46:18 AM »
Cookieman , I have never saw a slug do that , I dont think it is normal but it is possable because most of the slugs I deal with are sabots and not rifled slugs , I havent saw any bullet do that but how far did your deer run after being hit with it

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 05:12:36 AM »
Dropped in its tracks and just twitched a few times and was done!  The slug must have been deflected off the edge of a rib bone.  The entry wound was about 5 inches below the top of its back and it went through the spine and lodged between the hide and the rib on the other side.  I was surpised it didn't come apart.  If you look at the pic of the back side closely, you will see that it was punched out from the front.  I know I may loose a little velocity if I switch to the 5/8oz standard Sluggers, but they may be a little thicker in the center and prevent this from happening.  Just speculation, on my part.  No facts to back that up.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 05:19:21 AM »
Lets think about this Cookieman, the slugs is accurate and obviously effective on your quarry, why change? What difference does it make if it has a hole in it's center after you recover it? It's accurate and the deer drops in it's tracks? Whats not ti like? The lighter slug would probably kick less anyway. AND IT WORKS!!!, so why change???? Besides you could start to collect the expended slugs, put them on a string like a necklace and give it to your wife as a present, what meaning in that present!!....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 05:33:01 AM »
Good points, never thought of it like that.  Ecept the part about the necklace. ;D ;D  The BAMBI lectures would never end. ;D ;D ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 05:53:13 AM »
It would appear to be perfectly normal.

I hesitate to post this link as it is to another forum but I think you would find it helpful:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=62547
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 06:19:33 AM »
Thanks, MIsabot.  That totally answers my question.  I was expecting to find this mangled or flattened piece of lead and instead I found a Lifesaver looking piece of lead.  I guess that's pretty normal.  I will stick with what has worked for me and continue using the Slugger HV. 

Thanks to you all for chiming in on this thread.

cookiemann

Hmm! Necklace ;D I kinda liked that idea, Andy!
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Buckmaster 30-30

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 06:20:46 AM »
If it killed the deer with no problems i wouldent worry about it

Offline SDS-GEN

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 06:27:22 AM »
i believe this is typical for foster type slugs, I have seen several other slugs that look like this come out of deer.  The deer were all dead-if it ain't broke don't fix it.